Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxing Workout for Parkinson's?

Rock Steady Boxing kicks ass! I've been starting to work out with a trainer who is bringing this to Austin, TX. Funny part was I have improved to the point of joining a weekly work out group. Slowly kicking Parkinson's in the butt... feel great!

https://vimeo.com/128175367

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh. Thats fucking amazing. How does it help?
My muscles work. My nerves work. The brain looses track of how to get things to work together. So over time movement gets smaller. Not just my walking gait, but everything... Medication helps, but my body seems to remember the new normal.

When I first tried wearing boxing gloves and hitting those pads... it is like I just don't touch the pads. With time I will make light contact. After enough practice my mind starts to realize I can really through a punch and impact a pad.

It is the repetitive motion and hitting. My mind recognizes my whole body, from my hands to my toes, feel that impact.

Normally I pause and think about how to walk. When I start moving my feet around and hitting the bag, it is like I am focusing on hitting the bag but my body remembers how to move my feet. Hard to explain, but there is something about it that is more than just working out. I'm hooked!

If it helps delay the disease, all the better. I'm feeling a little more stable in walking and moving, but just great to feel an improvement for a change.

·
Premium Member
69,483 Posts
Did you watch the video?
Fuck off, yes I did. Wanted to hear from him what helped.
My muscles work. My nerves work. The brain looses track of how to get things to work together. So over time movement gets smaller. Not just my walking gait, but everything... Medication helps, but my body seems to remember the new normal.

When I first tried wearing boxing gloves and hitting those pads... it is like I just don't touch the pads. With time I will make light contact. After enough practice my mind starts to realize I can really through a punch and impact a pad.

It is the repetitive motion and hitting. My mind recognizes my whole body, from my hands to my toes, feel that impact.

Normally I pause and think about how to walk. When I start moving my feet around and hitting the bag, it is like I am focusing on hitting the bag but my body remembers how to move my feet. Hard to explain, but there is something about it that is more than just working out. I'm hooked!

If it helps delay the disease, all the better. I'm feeling a little more stable in walking and moving, but just great to feel an improvement for a change.
Thanks! I was wondering what it was about that particular exercise that did the trick.

My grandfather had Parkinson's so that's of special interest.

·
Hophead
77,608 Posts

Sounds like it would be good for a non-Parkinson's uncoordinated guy like me :laughing:

We should get a beer sometime soon

·
Wear Your Seatbelts
3,202 Posts

That sounds amazing. Keep it up! :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts