Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more rust coming through on my 85 Toy. I'm just gonna say fawk it and paint on some kind of coating. Have you guys coated the lower parts of the body in a liner? I did a search and didn't find much. I would like to use Herculiner b/c I can get a gallon locally for $80 on sale. I've been quoted $400 to do the lower 1/4 of my truck with LineX but that's too damn high for me. Anyone use something on the body with good results? If so let me know and pics would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Eastwood Company sells a chemical that chemically neutralizes rust. Put POR-15 on it and no mo problems. Or Herculiner if you are a cheap ass like me. We use the Eastwwod stuff at the shop and it works great.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Don't get the roll on stuff or Rhino Linings. They are both way too soft to do any good. Line-X is the way to go, even if it is a bit more expensive. None of the Rhino Linings shops around here will even do that because they can't control the spray like you can on the Line-X. The roll of stuff doesn't work very well on vertical surfaces, so unless you want your stuff to run, just save up and get the Line-X. I don't know why they quoted you at $400 for the lower portion on the body, I was quoted at $700 for the entire vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
uhhhhhh..............i just sprayed mine and I had no problems with the hurc, really easy get a underbody gun and a inline filter prep prep and spray away.l..........................ltr

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If this was your daily beater I'd say POR-15 it and then rattle can it with the parts store bed liner in a can. But since it appears to be your daily driver I'd say get it good and clean - POR-15 it and get some decent paint or have some 'real' spray on coating applied to it.

Either way clean it up, use POR-15 and lay some junk over the top of it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I did the herculiner on my bottom panels on my 86 truck. Looks good and keeps some of the rock rash from really messing it up. But just throw some wide masking tape on it and roll it on or spray it. It works good if you go over it about 2-3 times. Pics of my truck are on www.ht4x4.com go to left hand 211 mine is the blue truck. Doesn't look like that now though.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree, POR 15 is good stuff.

Use that first and follow it with a little grinding to clear it up.
I've stuck with plain ol Plasticote flat black.
It'll scar, but it's easy to repair (again, rattlecan :flipoff2: )

Post some pics when it's done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts