Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a rear RockJock 60 in the Brute. When it was a Wrangler, and I daily drove it I had a strange whining noise start up in the axle. Took it apart and found the face of the the teeth on the ring gear gone. I posted on here about it. Ended up ordering a set of spicer gears for it with all new bearing and such. Well, I have been home all winter, daily driving the thing. And the noise is coming back. Same exact sound. Almost sounds like beads setting on a aluminum plate being shook.

My question. Am I asking to much out of the rockjock in the rear to be doing highway speeds everyday? I pulled the cover and the ring gear looked good. Pattern looked good and so forth.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wheel bearings can make a sound like that too. Might check those.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't think your asking to much. I have a rockcrusher rear axle and I daily drive mine. I've had it in for 6 years now and have well over 50,000 miles on it, including a trip from Fl. to Az. and back. Good luck.

·
Vendor
6,979 Posts
Rosco Racin has one in the rear of his KOH buggy, Seth (our Dana axle expert, who works at Dana & builds our junk on the side) installed his setup with spicer gears and could not get it to run out within his tolerances or anywhere that he was comforatable with. He ended up going into work and cutting a special set of gears to use in Roscos buggy, they have been in there for several years no issues. There is something funny about those housings...... You may send him a message and see if he has additional info as this story was second hand to me.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I am curious why Currie bolts in the axle tubes? Does not seem strong.
Aluminum housing, steel tubes, have fun welding that.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I am curious why Currie bolts in the axle tubes? Does not seem strong.
The Grade 8+ equivalent cap screws are probably as good as most of the plug welds holding in other tubes. That and they aren't just bolted in, the housing is heated and the tubes are pressed in. Then they are milled, threaded and the counterbore extends into the tube itself.

Besides, unless this is your first day on the internet, you know if there was an issue with the tubes spinning, loosening, or the bolts falling out, it would be plastered everywhere.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Rosco Racin has one in the rear of his KOH buggy, Seth (our Dana axle expert, who works at Dana & builds our junk on the side) installed his setup with spicer gears and could not get it to run out within his tolerances or anywhere that he was comforatable with. He ended up going into work and cutting a special set of gears to use in Roscos buggy, they have been in there for several years no issues. There is something funny about those housings...... You may send him a message and see if he has additional info as this story was second hand to me.
I don't think Rosco is on Pirate, nor Seth. You'd have better luck trying to reach either one through Branik.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
That concerns me. I am just about to order a set of iron RJ axles for a customer on Monday. Is this a well-known thing on the iron units that many people are having?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
There are iron RockJock housings out there to. In fact, they are probably more common than the aluminum ones now.
He probably
ment the cast rock jocks
I didn't know the housing was aluminum. No wonder there are deflection issues apparently.

The aluminum Rock Jock was first I believe, followed by the Iron Jock. It seems that they have since done away with the Iron Jock name and just call em both Rock Jock's now. Silly me assumed since the poster had said Rock Jock that he was referring to the aluminum version since the name used to differentiate between the two. At least as far as I can remember.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im taking the RJ apart today. Got the thing in the shop. I'll post pictures of anything I find unusual. I dont have a lot of knowledge on gears and setup. So Im sure to me itll look fine.. Going to have new bearings pressed on the axle shafts while they are out. Might aswell. Im pretty sure though that the axle shaft bearing are fine.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
flex

Biggest problem i have witnessed and heard about a rockjock is they flex in the center if they are not trussed and take out gears ,so if you drive more then recreational wheeling and are bigger than a tj jeep truss it. 1st sign is loose diff cover.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There's always the chance that the install wasn't done correctly. That's usually the cause of R&P failures, so I wouldn't be specific about the make of the axle yet.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thought I would put a little more info on here. So I tore the axle completly down the other day, to find nothing out of the ordinary. ring gear appeared to look in good shape. The pattern on the gear looked normal. So I went ahead and installed new wheel bearing on the shaft. Put it all back together. The noise still exist.

I think though I may have found the problem. And its more than likely my stupidity and not the rockjock. After researching gear noises here on the pbb I found a lot of people blaming or bringing up dline angles. So that got me to thinking. I went outside and did what I think was the correct way to measure this.

The driveline sits at 12*s. The housing is at 73*s. So you minus that from 90, and get 17*. Correct? So that would show the axle is 5*s to high? Which might cause this noise that I am hearing? Its a 1350 CV shaft.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
5* is not optimum, but not life and death either. I cant get mine to 1* with the CV, it runs at about 4*. With my gears whipping the shaft around pretty fast, and the difference in the angle, I get a growl from the CV if I dont keep greasing it often. Noise goes away for a few hundred miles, then I must grease it up good for the noise to go away.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info Keith. I took it for a drive with no rear driveshaft a minute ago. Noise was there, but VERY faint. But, I could hear it.

This is going to sound nuts I'm sure. But what are the odds that when under power it is making some noise, and my aluminum 24.5 gallon tank making that noise that much worst? The Jeep sits low. And is about 3"es from the tank at ride height.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts