Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack the other thread but it sounded like your rig was all but done. Well is she rolling yet?

Johnathan

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Well......Not exactly. On the day of, my daughter got sick and had to stay home....Mom had to work :( BUT! Later that day I did get a few minutes to prep the engine, cross-check all bolts and wires, fired her up (purrrrrred like a kitten!), put her in drive and watched my rock-n-roll (Tom Wood's) shafts turn....Then blead (sp?) the hydro system (noticed a loose fitting), noticed a leak around my fuel pressure gauge (loose fitting). . That was it. :( Great few hours, but the goal is to drive it.

I'm planning on taking a 1/2 day tomorrow and then Friday off to actually DRIVE the rig.

I was VERY impressed with Stations load reactive orbital valve and the ram. Good quick response, and a VERY connected feel with the steering wheel. I have a feeling I won't notice any real difference between it (full hydro) and the stock set-up under 50mph...Not like I want to take this rig past that anyway!.

The fuel system worked flawlessly (Jeg's fuel cell and MSD HI60 pump). The sending unit works fine too....Maintains a perfect 35psi (hopefully the stock regulator will hold up).

Sorry, still no pics....My new Oly 4000 is on back order...Should have it next week.

CC is going to be a bit of a stretch I'm affraid with the baby due here any day now...*IF* I can get a day or two I'll be there in a heart-beat boys!!! I'm thinking I can (at best) hit two day's...If so, it will be twister and rotocillo (Friday/Saturday).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Matt's buggy is Howe fully hydro and I've driven it high speed though the desert. It's a HOOT! I guess the system was designed for Trophy trucks, so that is part of it being so responsive. I must have been pushing 100mph at times, no windshield and a whole lot of grin. One think to watch for, his is 2 turns lock to lock and your input can be a little twitchy at speed.

I'm going to be a dad in 4 weeks with a little luck... it's still neck and neck between Brooke or the G showing up at the house first! ;-)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Congrats on the child. Matt just had a baby also. Must be Contagious. If I see you in the springs and I start running....don't take any offense. :D

Way

P.S. The G is lookin good. So is Matt's new buggy

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Rich, I bought the pump from Summitt....$120 or so. What I like about it is that it has -6AN IN/OUT fittings (no barbs) and a 3/8ths NPT on the bottom that runs (via braided) to the return line...In theory it keeps the pump primed all the time...Pretty darn quiet too. Oppps...Typo...The pump I have is the MALLORY 60HI...Not the MSD.

I elected (with Stations advise) to go with a '4 turns lock to lock' Charlyn orbital and a 8" stroke double-through ram. I bought a LEE manufacturing pump from another guy on this board, and then bought the reservoir from Jeff Howe....BTW, you can't just buy the reservoir from Jeff...He requires that you send your pump to him as well such that he can bench test the pump and check to see if it's matched (flow/GPM) to your/his system. My LEE pump was perfect, but he machined the return port to -10AN (to the veins) to eliminate any potential flow problems, and pushed the psi to 1500. (flow is 3.75gpm). The reservoir/filter is a work of art....

Still no baby yet, so I'm off to the shop to get the tires on and take her for her first beta run! Should have her driving by 3:00pm MST....If not tomorrow is another day...That is unless my wife doesn't pop by then! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts