Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
broke my first rockwell axle. drivers stub shaft. i didnt hear/feel anything when it actually went. although it probably started to go when i was doing little sluice, and shit the bed on the slabs on the way back to loon lake.

it looks like its just a brittle old shaft. this was a stock shaft. ive never seen a shaft splinter like this though.

think it just a result of being old and brittle?

outside

shaft side

im gonna get a stock replacement for now, but will be getting some 2"ers real soon.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
looks like a comon break. What size tires and such are you runnin.
O.E.M alloy shafts are way stronger than stock and hella cheaper than 2 inchers.
We have a rig in our group that has the 2 in. set up and they are almost to nice to put in the housing:grinpimp:

JUst curiose if its just the pic or something but is your shaft turning blue just in front of the seal surface. You might whant to take a look at your bushing surface and make sure your gettin lube to it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hard to tell if it's the pic or the breakage or what, but sure does look like alot of impurities in the metal.:confused:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
sweet carnage:smokin:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yeah, nice breakage, I would also like to see the specs on your rig, I had a big block in front of my 8500lb rig with rocks and 49's, I never even twisted the splines, and I got a bit of air a few times, maybe a weak or old shaft, looks like the metal was kinda shitty too, just my .02 :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
has to be an old shaft. I dont think you break those damn shafts that easy :shaking:

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
ya this weekend, if your down, as for the date - ill know tomorrow - havent received my "hunny do" list yet. let me know if you need the hubs for the mogs turned - my father in laws lathe is much nicer than mine - or mine will do it but ass slow and not as close

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
It appears to be a ductile break, and all the crack and stuff you see acts like the splining process (cut, rolled or whatever) created stress risers and either cause it to break or when it broke it followed those paths as its path of least resistance.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its on a 77cherokee w/ a stock 454, th400 203/205 w/ 42" iroks. the rig weighs 5800lbs. (w/o my fat ass in it)

ive had this thing 5" in the air w/ full throttle and landed it w/ no breakage. then im running the slabs @ the rubicon and it breaks. i didnt even notice it until i got to camp.

this is a stock shaft so probably 30 or 40 years old. built by the lowest bidder. :D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha, that should be 5' in the air. 5" aint that impressive. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I broke my first rockwell shaft in the 'Box last weekend also. Clean break at the end of the drive flange. Also twisted the inner splines on the long side. I ve been bangin on these axles damn hard though for two years now. Ordered a stock replacement for this weekend. If I break another I think I am going to step up to OEM's 16 spline chromo's. I doubt I will break another though.

One other thing I keep reminding myself of is these shafts came out of a very large truck, and are who know how old. I do know that I was never kind to any military vehicle I ever drove( drive it like you stole it!:D). So maybe I didn't really break it. Maybe some E-3 pounded it into oblivion years ago and it just finally died.

Mine did the same thing except the break was way clean. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. By the way I saw your buggy Friday night when I pulled in. Damn that thing sits low.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
well, just got off the horn w/ randy @ ouverson, ordered some alloy outers for now. that should hold me over until i get the 2" shafts.
i just hope my inners will hold up.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
these should do the trick. :smokin:

thanks to randy @ OEM.
these'll hold me over till some 2inchers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts