Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for anyone that can give me tips/ideas/advice on my Rockwell axle swap.... I am putting a pair of front steer axles in my 1997 Ford F 250 4 door powerstroke truck... I will be doing lots of street driving.. Please email me so I can call and talk.. LOTS of pictures pleeease.... i will post my full build up including Tonz of Pictures when I am done, I have been talking to lots of guys with axles and stuff and I am anxious to start very soon. Just need to sell my 1-ton axles D60/sterling 10.25 ...

anyway if anyone "has done or knows someone who has done" please email me at [email protected] (((AND))) [email protected]

Thanks a lot guys !!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
rockwells

Are you sure you want to put Rockwell's under a '97 Superduty? I know it's none of my business but I'd love to have your truck as my tow vehicle. You could pick a cheaper model to work on and actually increase the value of it instead of decreasing the powerstrokes. If you are still going to do it-everything will be custom work. Leaf springs/4-links would have to be worked out. Pinion brakes with no ABS or expensive hub disc that can run 2K per axle. Hydraulic steering for the rear but you can go hydraulic assist, full hydraulic-(Not street legal in some states), or regular power steering. Driving around town will be easy as long as you plan on keeping it around 50mph. With 6.72 gears-rockwells need some rpm's to reach highway speeds. Plan on a decent lift to clear oil pan with front axle. I'm working on a Mid 80's truck body with rockwells but I have a way to go. Steve

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve thanks for the input. here are some of my reasons for doing this conversion...

1) want to run 40in tires or more and Tsl's have no load range and wear out to fast and cost too much
2) Value of a 97 Ford powerstoke???? have you seen an Autotrader mag... they made a billion of these trucks and the new body style is all the rage !!! and with the new motor coming out this year My truck will REALLY drop...
3)Not running rear steer yet !
4)6x6x6.com sells complete disc brake kit for a rockwell front axle for $600
5) ebrake... drum brake on transfer case output
6)I have 5.5 inches of lift now and will be going to approx 10 inches max..
7)will run standard mechanical steering and will put on hydro assist.
8)cost cost cost.... anticipate spending $2000 on entire project with myself doing all fab work.
9)Military surplus tires up to 52 inches quite the selection
DOT legal and heavy load range long wear(yes they wont ride like a caddy)
The list goes on !!!

Not doing it
..I have to deal with regearing what I have now
..Pinion angle !!!!!!
..high cost of big wheels
..high cost of tires
..just not as COOL......

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tradin your not KParker are you??
I have a contact in KY for tires/wheels/axles

I want to run same wheels and tires your running...
I will be doing all fab work at my house in Wylie
I will start as soon as I buy my Plasma cutter
Hope to start in December

WHere are you?? WHat have you got?? Maybe we can hook up and talk about what we are doing.....
Here is my truck

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dan I am talking to him now...... Hey do you have any pics of Rockwell axles with hub disk brakes? I am trying to get an idea of what exactly is involved in that... Thanks Daniel............ Did you ever get that "Big G Project" done?? Shhhhhh .....

Rick

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I put a set of these under an 89 F-250. It was about 4 years ago, so the details may not be right on.

Basicaly to get the front to clear I had to turn the 6" springs into about 10-12". I started by droping the front mount, same as doing a shackle reversal. Then had to make spring pads for it anyway, so I just made them about 2" tall. For steering I made it full hydro, against my will. He wanted it, I didn't like the idea for the street. Later in life he changed it back. Also instead of a pinion brake, we just hooked up the drum brakes, worked great. He didn't have the money for disc.

For the rear (which we used a front) Just had to use the stock 2" block and a shackle flip to make it match the front.

When I was done, he could fit 50"+ tires. All in all I think he had about $2000 in parts into it.

email me if you need any other specfic details

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am almost done putting Rockwells underneath my 86 Bronco, Probably almost identical as far as crossmembers go, and to clear my crossmember I had to lift it 17" (I might have gotten away with 15" but with no uptravel). The Third members are seriously big on those things. Sorry I don't have any decent pics.

JYS

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
hey junkyard slug.. where abouts are you in eastern nc? i wouldnt mind checking out that ride... been thinking about rockwells... i just think the pumkins are too big for my liking..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Greenville. Just E-mail me at [email protected] whenever you want to ride up. I am a musican and work in Raliegh alot so if you ride up make sure I am in Greenville first.

JYS

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rick--im in frisco, and ur talkin bout travis in ky right?

ive got a plasma cutter, just need an excuse!

my sig has what im gettin, plannin on a buggy...ill figure it out when i get my axles.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Swamp donkey doesn’t use Rockwells, it uses GMC 2 1/2 ton military axles that are a completely different design. They are front loaders instead of top loaders, and have what look like huge birfield joints in front. You also have to run the GMC transfer case, cause the front axle needs contrary rotation compared to every other axle imaginable.

JYS

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Junkyard Slug said:
The Swamp donkey doesn’t use Rockwells, it uses GMC 2 1/2 ton military axles that are a completely different design. They are front loaders instead of top loaders, and have what look like huge birfield joints in front. You also have to run the GMC transfer case, cause the front axle needs contrary rotation compared to every other axle imaginable.

JYS
True on all points but one, you can flip the GMC front axle's third member over to run a standard t-case, one of my club members did it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot about that. I think Swamp Donkey had to get custom shafts made. The GMC axles would not need as much lift to clear as rockwells.

JYS

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trigger thanks for the try...... Tradin call me at 972-657-7173 during the day or 214-417-0685 we need to talk... My sis lives in frisco.... maybe we can exchange ideas and stuff.. I was talking with KY crawler but we could not work out a "deal" ... Has anyone esle seen an old body style 97 and older Ford F-series with Rockwells on them? Does anyone know of any sites or anyone who has done a conversion? Seems like everyone is doing Rockwells on Buggies...... I plan on building a web site with tonz of pics and details while I am doing my conversion/\....

keep the stuff coming guys !!!!! here is my truck with 33's a couple of years ago... this is the way a 4x4 should be driven.. look snow in Dallas... lasted 2 days then bone dry..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
with the gears in the rockwells and 54" tires it would work out to about the same gearing as 4.10's and 33's. If thats what your planning sweet if not hope you have an extra overdrive.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not to ruin the thread but I beleive the disc brake setup for a rockwell front axle is 1200 not 600. I was pulling out my credit card as I read that. Then checked the website. I thought christmas was gonna come early.

I am corrected. There is a 1ton setup available for the lesser price. The 1200 is for a 2 ton setup.

jim

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Daniel your a ton of help I appreciate all your input... I may now to run a rear axle for now my contact for 2 fronts dropped out on me.. if I flip the front axle hubs in and leave the rear axle out will he width be the same on both?? I want to make the wheels all the same size. (backspacing wize). does your 1-ton brake kit only work with the hubs flipped out???

Thanks again. Rick

1 - 20 of 65 Posts