Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found out one of my rockwell axles has bendix joints in it not the u-joints, so heres my ?? should i put the bendix in the front or rear, i like to do alot of front digging so should the u-joint style be up front and have the bendix in the rear. the rear steering will be used on a need to use basis not on or active all the time. i have read that the bendixs are around 20% weaker, i plan on runing nothing bigger than 39's and i have 4.0 HO 727 dana 300, jason.

·
Registered
889 Posts
actually, the bendix (i'm assuming you mean the birfield type) are stronger than the u joints. it's the repezas (sp?) that are weaker.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the ones i have are the four balls on each corner and one center, jason.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here are some #'s. Hope this helps you some.

"The 2 1/2 ton U joint style, max. static load is 3,600 foot lbs. of torque. The convel model "E" used in the 2 1/2 ton is 4,310 foot lbs. of torque. The rezepa is estimated 10% to 15% weaker than the U joint style. Just for grins the dana 60 - 1480 in the steering axle is 2,000 foot lbs. of torque. I like BIG stuff. steve differential eng. inc."

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those numbers put a smile on my face, i did find another axle but i am pulling it apart or cutting the boots befroe i get it and save the other shafts ( bendix ) as spares. thats the reasion i am going rockwells cheap strength, thanks steve jason.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Personally I would use the non U joint style in the front because they are constant velocity and dont jerk back and forth like U joints tend to do at full lock. I would guess that the jerking motion would tend to offset the strength advatage.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have a question while we are on the subject of ball and fork shafts vs. the u-joint style, I have a front rockwell that had ball and fork style, and I went to u-joint style, but now my spindles wont go on all the way, is there some secret? Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The shafts are the same length, and the shaft has gone all the way into the housing. I am off by about 1/2 inch or so, I dont know what is wrong and am getting frustrated, if anyone can help I would be greatly appreciated, either post here or email me at [email protected] thanks.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
jrod66 said:
I have a question while we are on the subject of ball and fork shafts vs. the u-joint style, I have a front rockwell that had ball and fork style, and I went to u-joint style, but now my spindles wont go on all the way, is there some secret? Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The shafts are the same length, and the shaft has gone all the way into the housing. I am off by about 1/2 inch or so, I dont know what is wrong and am getting frustrated, if anyone can help I would be greatly appreciated, either post here or email me at [email protected] thanks.:confused: :confused:
Did you remove the thrust washer on the inside of the knuckle? The large - brass washer that sits between the rezepa joint, and the axle seal? I don't think the U-joint shafts need this washer.

I've done this twice myself...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts