Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know it was asked along time ago but what was the reasoning why you have to run the boots on the Rockwell steering axles, I thought there was a few guys trying to figure out how to lose the boot. I am looking to do the same but all I can figure is maybe the axle seals were the problem or there is no seal around the kingpin bearings. So does anyone have any ideas on this yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
doh thats why there is gear oil leaking around in back of my truck when i picked up the axles.. both of the boots are toast..

little off topic.. where is cheapest place to get new boots

·
Registered
154 Posts
A guy in Oklahoma told me to put a grease zert in the hub and shoot it every month. Don't know if this is wise or not just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
1SAWB said:
I Got My 1 Pc Rubber Boots From Usa 6x6 20.00 Each Including Shipping
How bad of a pain are they to put on? Ive got to replace my zipperd boots and would like to go with 1pcs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
is there other place i can get them from other than usa6x6 after hearing soo many bad things about them im not sure i want to get anything from there

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get them localy here in toledo ohio just let me know and I can send ya some. but anyway I figured out that the only thing that would need the grease in the knuckle is the ujoint, the bearings on the king pins are sealed and the stub axle and the inner axle are sealed so all we need is the f550 ujoint that is greasable to replace the stock rockwell ujoint, and whala no more boot!!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
hmm got part number for those stuff? maybe i can look at my local parts store?

if not how much does it cost over there?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Yes I still run boots and untill last weekend I have not had one tear. When one of the shocks broke, it poked a boot. The gaurds have been great.

I run the boots because, of the upper and lower kingpins are not protected from water otherwise. Most people that dont run boots stay out of mud, water, etc. Yes my new joints are greasable but without the boots the kingpins would get killed.

Dan

·
Registered
625 Posts
to make sure.. u run one peice boot or zippered one? i think i should run one peice.. lots of mud and water around here.. will have to look closer on your gaurds u have.. and try make something simlar to that..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have order from 6x6 several times.
6 to be exact.
Never had a problem.
Always very speedy response.
Have read all the crap about them as well but have not seen any problems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have actually order 7 times.
2500.00 worth of product.
Wheels, lockers, brakes, boots, centers for hummer beadlocks, oil seals and never had a problem

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Dan D runs a 1 piece boot. There's a link in his first post in this thread - It shows a picture of the guard he fabbed to keep rocks from tearing his boots open. That's why everyone has torn boots that runs rockwells... they get pinched between the trail and you rig, and get cut open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts