Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a rockwell detroit locker from a gentleman on the board. Sort of a mystery detroit that has the same splines as the M35 rockwell diffs and was therefore presumably for a rockwell. Not 100% sure but sounded close enough.

Well, this weekend I went for the joyous chore of pulling the front apart in my garage (already took the drums off months ago, thank god), and I went to stick the locker in. Turns out I needed to take about 1/8" off each crosspin to get it to go into the carrier. Well, I did that and the center section is as snug as a bug, but then I realized the side gears aren't a perfect fit either. The OD of the side gear where it spins in the carrier is too big.

http://www.planetbantz.com/imghost/bob/072604gears.jpg

Is there a "close fit" detroit that is out there? Has anyone seen this? I'm probably just going to take this to a friend with a mill and turn it down a bit... any issues with doing so? I figure if the REAL rockwell detroit is that size, then there should be no issues, and anyway, the shaft splines deeper into the locker than this neckdown area.

PS I am an asstard who can't take a decent digipic to save my life. Also, the batteries were dying so I couldn't capture the precise angle I obviously needed to show what the F I am talking about. Sorry. You should have seen the other photo - total Blurryvision™.

Bob

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There are larger side gear hole's in the 2 1/2 ton rockwell line, i have seen 2 different size's, but you had to remove 1/8" from the ends of the cross pins? Are you sure this DT. locker is 16 spline or 19 spline?????? steve

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
splines onto the end of the rockwell shaft.... a wee bit rattly but on there.

I think everything will fit peachy once I turn down the OD of that side gear to the same size as the stock side gear.

Idiot me already ground off the 5 digit number on the cross pin, although I still do have the 2xx-xxxx on the body of the locker.

Cheers
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts