Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got to build a vehicle that will be able to servive the harsh terrain of alaska and all of the upper providences of canada!

the reason i promised my dad when i was little i would take him so i guess i better start now.

i need something we can live out of, travel on the road (legal as best we can!), get decent gas milage and be reliable and self-efficient.

what i've come up with maybe a crew cab or suburben. i'm not worried about wheelbase. it's got to have a diesel (probably a late model 12 valve cummins.

things i've got for it:
(2) steering rockwell's
rockstomper 20x13 beadlocks
16.00r20 michelin XL's
(4) sway away 18 inch travel shocks
(4) optima batteries

very good welding/fabrication skills
free steel to some degree
(i'm in school at night for welding diploma)
not to bad limited budget about 1000 month to put into this rig

i just need info and opinion's about best body to chose and parts that don't freeze up or help keeping them from freezing
also don't know whether or not to run air bags or put coils on the shocks for the loads we might be carring.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATLY APPRECIATED
BYE I'M OFF TO THE MONSTER TRUCK JAM TONIGHT FOR MOR INFO FROM THE BIG DOGS!!!!! THANKS RYAN MCKEE :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
LOL, yeah, just buy a duece&a half and build a shell over the bed with whatever you want. You can run those motors on almost anything. It'll probably run on whale blubber, when that's all you can get from the eskimo's in the middle of nowhere...

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Elf Cruiser-How was the show? I live in Chatt. and thought about going, but decided against it. Too many idiots running around downtown to go eat and get there in time.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
buy a school bus for like $3500 and put all that crap in it with a divorced rockwell transfer case. will be big, comfy, and hopefully already have a proven diesel engine in it. i want to build a stub nosed 4x4 school bus for a tow rig with some good sized michelins but just dont have the money right now.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hickeyjones said:
a diesel would not be my choice for extreme cold weather. the fuel gels too easy.
block heater

my friends 2.5L 4cyl turbo diesel started just fine when it was -20, without the block heater.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
You can run those motors on almost anything. It'll probably run on whale blubber, when that's all you can get from the eskimo's in the middle of nowhere...
I didn't know that. Examples?

J. J.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I think the biggest challenge you going to have is driving whatever you come up with from tellico to alaska!

Somehow I think you will have more issues with rear steer rockwells on 20in mich. than you would with something more run of the mill.

An F250 crew cab or Defender 130 on 35-37s would be the extent of what I could tolerate for that long of a drive.

Ron

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've got to work with what i have....

so your telling me to buy a unimog and put my rockwells under that......that seems like a great idea!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: i'm sticking with rockwells because thats what i wanted and already waited almost a freaking year on getting wheels

i was thinking maybe an older body style crew cab with an exocage like "bgreen" but with 4doors and put a camper shell on the back and sleep in that. i've got to have room for 3 people to live comfortably for maybe 2 months at a time

thanks for all your reply's and keep it coming and help me keep it legal!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why don't you like the idea of 20's and michelins.......
what else am i gonna run.... boggers.....:flipoff2: ...i would have a set bought and ready to put on in montana because i already have wore them bald. the michelins should last longer than my lifetime on a rig that weighs in at about 7-8000 lbs. rather than 50-60,000 pound hemmit, don't ya think.. i'll have the rear locked out most of the time.

thanks for the chat but i need some more tech on the freezing up stuff

?????????????????????????/

1: will my batteries need something to keep them warm
2: diesel or gas (give me pros and cons of both!!) got to run to keep us warm no matter what.
3: and hydrolic steering how do i keep that from freezing maybe warmers on the resivoir :(

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
ok,

Generally you have three heaters, one battery plate, one for the fuel and one (or more) for the block. Not sure if optimas freeze or not, but a regular battery, especially if it is low on charge will. A simple block style heater should keep any other fluid warm enough.

Another issue with diesel is that you will not get the heat output of gas. You can do this two ways. One go gas, or two get aux. heaters. wabasto makes some nice diesel fired ones. No matter what I would run at least two heaters.

Ron

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i use a boot to seal the front of the camper with the cab and leave the windows out with two heaters should be plenty fine.
would those heaters give off any fumes that could kill us while we sleep :evil: :evil:

make a false floor to sleep on and we could put all of our shat under that ..... good idea or not????

1 - 20 of 88 Posts