Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes it's a toy crossmember I have gusseted it a little but I'm a little concerned about its strength. any suggestions other than ditching it?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
clutter1 said:
yes it's a toy crossmember I have gusseted it a little but I'm a little concerned about its strength. any suggestions other than ditching it?
Brace it front-to-back... I've seen a few of 'em mashed vertically, too. Not so many of those, but twisting it on the frame pads (front-to-back) isn't uncommon at all. Doesn't even take a big hit. Basically, run bars off it forward and backward onto the frame... but it's only 1/8" thick steel (if that) throughout, which makes it tough to brace much--brace it good, and you'll tear the mounting bracketry out of it. I'd run braces from your mounting pad, to the framerails.

Truth is, though, you'll probably want to change it soon enough anyway... I'd do it now, while it's apart anyway.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm in not position to bash anybody, but I wouldn't trust that stock looking crossmember (t-case) to support the forces that the link suspension will see - not to mention the fact that it's Rockwells.

Otherwise, it's looking like a clean setup.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
if you look closely you can tell the crossmember is fliped around (pass. side on driver side) and moved back on the frame... I plan on triangulating off of these unused bolt holes to the front of the crossmember and off the rear back to the frame.......sort of skidplate/stiffner/ramp thing.

and then flogg it and see what happens

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
350 Samuri need some info maybe some pics what's this guy running .......ram size? how's it mounted? to the tie rod? I want to mount my ram parallel to tie tod between housing....... looks like yall had a great ride this weekend.....I'll get my pile running one day.......post up:D

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
clutter1 said:
350 Samuri need some info maybe some pics what's this guy running .......ram size? how's it mounted? to the tie rod? I want to mount my ram parallel to tie tod between housing....... looks like yall had a great ride this weekend.....I'll get my pile running one day.......post up:D
Hey chris thats kenneth his cylinder on the back is mounted to the tierod, ill get tim to take some pics of it , his front was mounted to a high steer arm that broke all the bolts.

You should have come than you could have seen for yourself.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
clutter1 said:
You've owned, what...about 10 Samurais, and you still can't spell it? :flipoff2:

Just weld you a tab on the back side of the housing and run a 10" cylinder to another tab on the tie rod. Be sure and have Matt make you a real tie rod, because the stock duece tie rod is junk.

The reason Kens steering arm broke the bolts out of it was because he had made his own arm and had it mounted on with plain bolts. They never stayed tight and ended up cracking the knuckle where the holes are. He didn't notice until after he put the factory arm back on with the cone washers and they broke. It was a good thing he had rear steering, since he had plenty of spare steeing parts, otherwise we would have been in the woods for a long time.

Did Matt tell you he was "that guy" this weekend? His list of broken parts is L-O-N-G. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
man I need spell checker....I want to put the ram between the tie rod and the housing there is only 20" when turned left from tie rod end to chunk if I try to put ram on top of tie rod the tabs welded near tie rod might hit lower link! any ideas?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
clutter1 said:
man I need spell checker....I want to put the ram between the tie rod and the housing there is only 20" when turned left from tie rod end to chunk if I try to put ram on top of tie rod the tabs welded near tie rod might hit lower link! any ideas?
Measure carefully. :flipoff2:

Get Matt to come over there. He has seen all of ours and is full of good ideas. If you have 20", that should be plenty, since the ram is shorter than that.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Clutter1 are you going to make a new cross member. A idea build one out of 2/3 tubing .250 wall. Its like 7 pounds a foot not to bad and stout to.Then build some base plate out of 3/8's plate and gusett it with some more 3/8's plate. With that set up it want move for shit. The base plates set agaist the frame the longer the better.A piece up the frame rail want hurt.:D Just my 2 cents

21 - 40 of 75 Posts