Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was laying under the truck today measuring for the ram ......I'll think of some redesign on the crossmember

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ramrock said:
Clutter1 are you going to make a new cross member. A idea build one out of 2/3 tubing .250 wall. Its like 7 pounds a foot not to bad and stout to.Then build some base plate out of 3/8's plate and gusett it with some more 3/8's plate. With that set up it want move for shit. The base plates set agaist the frame the longer the better.A piece up the frame rail want hurt.:D Just my 2 cents
...and then just weld a trailer ball on it. :rolleyes:

(don't forget the safety chains) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
could you give some more info on the axle side coil mounts you used? looks about like what i've been hunting for... also, the adjustable upper mounts... is where the spring mounts just flat stock cut round and welded to 2x2, or is that a complete piece you sourced from somewhere?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
the upper and lower spring mounts are just big washers....on the top washer I welded a 3" square 3/16" thick .....drilled 3/8" hole welded a 3/8 bolt and then welded 2"x2"x1/4"square tubing drilled with 1/2" holes every 1 1/2" then 2 1/2"x1/4" wall 4"long on the frame..... to capture the spring I used factory areostar (just flat plate with a notch to keep the spring from spinning)bolted up through the washer

the bottom is a washer with a piece of 4" pipe about 3/4" tall welded to it....... then I drilled and tapped the housing for 3/8" fine thread bolt 1 1/2"x5" flat plate with 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x 1" square tube welded (for a stop) when bolting down bottom of spring.:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
not that anybody cares ...butI got it on it's wheels today :) ...what ya think? it's got adjustable (receiver tubing welded vertically above spring) springs and they are all the way down to get it out of the garage :grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
I love it your coil spring mounts look just like mine.... I guess my idea was not so original... he he ..... here is some pics of my set up.... I used coil springs off of a late model YUKON....

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
front 3 link

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
lower links and uppe "wishbone" made from 2x2 by .250 with a 5000lb bulldog hitch...(STOUT) no heims to break,,, ever... he he I know its a little on the ******* side but what Can I say.....

This is a "flex" shot.... notice how high off the ground the frame rails are and the other side of the axle is on the ground....

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Last picture I promise.... I dont mean to hyjack....... YOU will totally wish you shaved the diffs for clearance.... I made mine by hand but If I had to do it again I would have bought some pre-made diff covers and just welded them on.. I have 20 inches of clearance under the diff with my 48's measure 49 inches actually...

slick rick

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
man I dig the diff shave......I have 13.5" from the drain plug.........frame is 35" off ground ......it's 88"wide and 115 wheel base

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ya I am soo glad I did it... I have see tonz of guys draging the diffs over rocks and it is like an anchor.... my truck is 92 inches wide,126 wheelbase(not bad for a 4 door) and frame I am not sure of I would approximate 38-42 inches.... I may go higher depending on flex.... that is one reason I wanted to be so wide.... also my wheels were $25 each and it was either 82 inches with the wheels flipped in or 92 with the centers cut and rewelded (flipped)... I obviously went with the wider, your Toy looks like it should be very capeable(spl) what engine is it? I tried to talk my buddy into rockwells but he "had" to go with Unimogs 404 and he is having a tough time building... those diffs are a lot of work. but I am sure they will be very much worth the work....

Rick

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
It's got a 4.3 chevy built 700r4 (shift kit, lighter springs in gov,and 2000 stall conv.) toy transfer case ....I like the diff from usa6x6 and wandered if it was worth the money?

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
looks good chris now get back to work!

·
Registered
792 Posts
DC i stated earlier on this thread.... I am using stock gmc Yukon springs off a 2003 4x4...... work perfect.... and cheap... just call any 4x4 shop and see if they will sell you some cheap..... they cant do anything with them....

RIck

·
Registered
328 Posts
clutter1 said:
man I dig the diff shave......I have 13.5" from the drain plug.........frame is 35" off ground ......it's 88"wide and 115 wheel base

Whatis your axle settup??

Hubs in correct.?
Stock width?
Rim backspacing?

looking at those pics you cant not shave it !

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Grizzwald13 said:
Whatis your axle settup??

Hubs in correct.?
Stock width?
Rim backspacing?

looking at those pics you cant not shave it !

they are stock rockwells......hubs in....8 bolt hummer rims 3.5" backspaceing that seems for me to be the best off set allowing for hummer bead lock stud removal and tie rod clearance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If anyone has some bandwidth, I have some sweet photos of how much clearance you can get if you shave your rocks with the mohawk style. If someone with a good photo hoster lights me up with an email, I'll send these over so you can post these. With a mohawk style shave, you basicaly turn your rock into a bar with a little, well, "pudendum" or (more PC) "epiglottis" hanging down in the middle. I hate to anthropomorphize it as such but it's an accurate depiction - man does it flatten this axle out.

Bob

41 - 60 of 75 Posts