Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember some discussion about outer wheel bearing seals for Rockwells but none of the four complete front axle assemblys I have, had these seals. It looks like they go inbetween the lock nuts. Also I have spent some time in deep water (over the tires) and not yet had water in my axles. I do use one piece boots and my inner wheel bearing seals are in good shape.

Anyway, I just saw these and just wondered if anbody knows anything about them. They would be good if you wanted to loose the boots, install sealed u-joints and figured out a way to seal the kingpins.

P/N 7061238 NSN 5330-00-706-1238

Dan

Heres the place (M35 is the Rockwell application)

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m35/m35.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dan, one of the two front end assemblys that i have had these seals on them. they went inbetween the outer bearing and the inner lock nut on mine. i asked paul at memphis equipment to get them for my other axle and he said that seal is not in there books, and he never saw one. must be real rare.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Clark Trucks tells me the seal only comes on rear axles. I'm not sure why or if there is any reason you can't run the seals on a front end...

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
DAN I FOUND THIS USING GOOGLE

The rear hub outer seal, p/n 7061238 cross references to the following;
A1205Q667 Kaitlin Corp.
A1205Q667 Rockwell International
668D6 Diamond Reo
913920 Spalla Inc.
913920 Sasco Inc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
you might check Boyd's Equipt. in Utah... had almost everything we needed.

Hell even the local CarQuest had parts for 2 1/2's... (not to say they have that one, though)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They really don't seal that well, I don't think. The inner surface is metal to metal on the spindle, and the outer (felt) isn't much stronger than that. I've been having to take these seals on and off like a million times lately, since I've been working on my rear disk wheel brakes alot (which are ripping effective, by the way!!!!!!).

Basically, from what I understand from my mil veh fun, on the rear axle, they keep the oil from strongly mixing with the wheel bearing grease, presumably by retaining the grease in the hub. The hubs on the FF rear in the M35 application are designed to be filled with bearing grease and lubed by the grease, even though us four wheelers are used to hubs that get lube from the axle's gear oil.

Oh yeah, the hubs take like a full tube and a half of grease. If you know someone with a grease gun that takes air, sweet jesus, do anything you can to freaking borrow that thing when you're filling the hubs with bearing grease. I was out in the snow a couple of weeks hating it in the snow for like an hour pumping that f#ing gun.

So, I have my doubts as to whether the front axle will be turned into a perfectly immersible machine by running one of these. MAYBE it would work, but I would be more interested in a seal on the end of the axle shaft where it comes into the spindle - I'd say that would be better to seal off the "outside" of the hub (well, where the water would come through the spindle).

I hope I understood the issue, but those seals are no magic bullet. And yes, as stated, they ride just outside of the outer bearing, between it and the spindle nuts.

Bob

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Dan my dad used to be in the CB'S in the navy and he said when they rebuilt the front axles they used the seal's on there.It might have been the area where they were though or maybe just the mechanic that worked on them.He was overseas on a island where they used them.Diego Garcia I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts