Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently let my red star expire but before it did, I searched and searched the rockwell links pages and other threads. I never read anything about installing the new pinion bearings on the pinion shaft though. I pulled mine apart tonight and it looks like the small bearing has a retaining clip and the large one has a disk pressed in front of it.

I purchased new pinion bearings and races from Tom at CSI so I don't want to damage them during the install. I just want to know if I need a press to install the old bearings off and the new ones back on. If so, I will need to take it to a machine shop since I don't have a press.

Any tips are appreciated!!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Well, generally.... if it looks like it needs a press, it probably does.

Harbor Freight has some presses that are actually worth the money. :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
I know this isn't of much help, if any...

But someone on here did a mod where they removed the small bearing to run large bearings on both ends. I think they had to machine the pinion, but I don't remember. I can look at some of the builds that it might be in tomorrow, but you'll probably have an answer by then. Perhaps someone knows the build I'm talking about and could link it.

Sorry, never taken the upper half of the differential apart... just the bottom.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I know this isn't of much help, if any...

But someone on here did a mod where they removed the small bearing to run large bearings on both ends. I think they had to machine the pinion, but I don't remember. I can look at some of the builds that it might be in tomorrow, but you'll probably have an answer by then. Perhaps someone knows the build I'm talking about and could link it.

Sorry, never taken the upper half of the differential apart... just the bottom.

Good luck to you.
slowmosu did that on his rear engine buggy, but it was more or less done to run the pinion backwards to get the axles to spin the right direction with the rear engine.. I do believe they still used a small bearing though

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Is there any type of retaining clip on the large bearing side? Its obvioius on the small side but it just looked like a disc on the large side. It actually looked like it was part of the bearing but it looks like there's a very small line between them indicating that it is a disc of some type pressed on after the bearing. Maybe a shim of some type?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts