Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on this project for the last few months on and off - but they are finally finished and mounted; the majority of the e-brake options I had seen for pinion brakes were either and add-on spot caliper or a t-case brake (or a hydraulic lock :shaking: )

I set out to use the caddy caliper so I could use a vented rotor and have a mechanical e-brake that was easy to adapt...

The mount plate ties into all 6 bolts on the bearing retainer and is made from 12"x12" 0.25" thick sheet of steel that was milled, drilled, bent, welded and combined with the OEM rear caliper brackets from a 1984 eldorado. The rotors are from the same (~11" in diam).

The rotor to pinion flange adapter started as a 7" round that was turned to allow access to the pinion nut and mount the rotor via the pilot flange...

Enough talk - here are the pictures:

I will be adding a tube guard to protect the rotor and still have to route the cables and obviously the hardlines as well - but everything clears and functions correctly...

Matt

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
This might sound dumb, but nice job with the safety wire. Its amazing how many people do that incorrectly, you did a nice job that doesnt look like a drunken monkey with a coat hanger.

Dane

·
Registered
625 Posts
i agree wtih dan let us see what is behind the rotor

getting more ideas for pinion brake setup.. i think ill use same caliper and rotor for ebrake advantage

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan Dibble said:
Looks great, show us whats under the rotor :)

Dan
I think this is the only picture I have of the spacer/adapter - basically is has the rim for the pinion flange on the back side with 4 tapped holes that now have studs in them and then 5 tapped holes in the front to secure the rotor...

The fitup turned out very nice - it takes a deadblow to seat the adapter on the pinion flange and the rotor holes line up perfectly.

The side you cannot see looks just like the driveshaft flange that normally bolts to the pinion flange...

HTH

Matt

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dane said:
This might sound dumb, but nice job with the safety wire. Its amazing how many people do that incorrectly, you did a nice job that doesnt look like a drunken monkey with a coat hanger.

Dane
Thanks Dane - those were hand twisted so no tooling marks either :flipoff2: Pretty much all the covers and the bearing retainer bolts have been drilled I just need to sit down and wire them...

I got the crash course in wire at work (vintage race cars - the crew chief is an ex-aviation guy)

DanB - what do you mean by the back side: I can take a shot from the other side of the axle but you really dont see much - unfortunately since these were in a bin for so long I did not do much picture taking while I was building...

Matt

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DanB said:
http://home.off-road.com/~wanderingwillys/xjpics/Buggy_Stuff/pinion_brake/brake3.jpg

would like to see behind that part currious how your braket is fabbed up more.. little more details if possible.. and your adapter is nice.. how much do u want for it??
I was never intending to sell these ;) I will see if I can take the caliper off and pull the rotor to show a little better what the bracket looks like as well as the back of the adapter - I would probably have to wait until this weekend though...

Matt

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Im showing that the adapter thickness might help somone with rotor clearances to motor, etc.

Heres mine
(upsidedown)

I love the fact you dont have a redrilled rotor, with extra holes :smokin:

Dan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sweet sassy molassey!! When will a big lathe fall from the sky and gently glide itself into the corner of my shop!

Nice work.

·
Registered
625 Posts
actually i might will get my buddy to help me make it with his milling machine.. i doubt he has that big drill bit to drill a hole thru but i got another buddies so will see..

might get couple feet of that solid round stock

for my trailer ball one link suspension and that adapter i guess

thats good the rotor is close to axles not sticking out too much from the first couple pics i thought it was sticking out lots.. so that adapter is probably perfect one i have seen so far :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
orangefj45 said:
nice work and good pics!

now start shaving those piggies! :D
Already done :p - I just did not do the ultra tomahawk shave - they are flattened (about 3" more clearence - and a flat 9" diam round on the bottom)

Trango - check out the local Tech colleges - about $600 per quarter here and free materials (and tons of machines) - pays for itself pretty darn quick if you can work efficently in the shop - plus my instructor got me my current job (and machine access!)

DanB - the drill was just because (you mean you don't have a 2.8" twist bit :rolleyes: ) - I still had to bore it out some to get to the final dim and finish...

The rotor clearence picture Dan posted was of his rotor from underneath - since he used a 4 piston willwood caliper he could squeeze it much tighter to the housing - mine is about 2.5" - 3" from the housing but it is mainly due to the e-brake stuff on the back side of the caliper...

Dan - the main goals of the project was to get a mechanical caliper e-brake and to use an off the self rotor with no machining: check one, check two :smokin:

The only bummer is the pads are not as cheap (~45$) as I had expected since they have a special locating tab to keep the piston from spinning in the caliper during the e-brake application

·
Registered
947 Posts
As usual I'm very impressed with your work, both on this rig and your xj.....what are you doing for your front suspension?

Justin

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TNScrambler said:
As usual I'm very impressed with your work, both on this rig and your xj.....what are you doing for your front suspension?

Justin
Thanks

Air shocks - the hoops are under the hood and the shocks go through the fenders...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts