Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when flipping the hubs in do you have to do any machining. i have heard that you must remove about a 1/4 inch of material or chamfer the hole where the stud goes thru of course i have also heard that this is not necessary.

thanks in advance

yeah i searched :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
bobo said:
when flipping the hubs in do you have to do any machining. i have heard that you must remove about a 1/4 inch of material or chamfer the hole where the stud goes thru of course i have also heard that this is not necessary.

thanks in advance

ya i searched :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
yep you must machine them and no you do not chamfer the holes:D
we take .220 face off and use diffrent studs with less shank spline and that will work .;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Just pound the studs out and stick them in from the other side, take you grinder and grind about an 1/8 - 3/16 off the heads and you are all set.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
ECF said:
Just pound the studs out and stick them in from the other side, take you grinder and grind about an 1/8 - 3/16 off the heads and you are all set.
pics;)

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I had a local machinist take the crown off the top of my studs. I then replaced the spindle studs with grade 8 bolts and it clears. My friends have done the same thing with a grinder.

CJ

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
well here is the deal using bolts is weeker than studs and i have seen the bolts ripe out of the nuckle the studs have a shoulder that holds the spindle in location and studs are better anyway..
grinding the bolts may work ?

but cuting the studs off at the nut is a much better way to do it.

taking the hub and machining it will allow the clearance needed between the nuts and the studs if you have to little clearance between the stud and the nuts if the wheel bearings get any slack kaboom !!!! bolt or nut shear time;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
frankie do you have or can you get the part #s from the studs you used. i pm'd you the same ? but since you hanen't checked i'll ask it here as well.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i will check if i still have it ?
we are now using the shoulder that would protrud threw after machineing for a pilot on our bead lock wheels then you can still use the stock studs;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts