Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this little sucker up off of ebay for no good reason for $20.
it supposedly goes between the rear axles of a 6x6.
it's kinda funky with the bolted on cap covers for the u-joints.
and it's just HUGE. I put a .750L bottle of wine next to it for size comparison.
anyone know if I can cut this thing up and use it to make a real driveshaft? is it worth the time?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you use it? Maybe...
like for what? putting a 6BT and a NV4500 in Flatty? ;)

what are joints in these? 1410's?
what's the deal with the yokes and the funky covers?
are they any more or less strong than a normal yoke?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Sundowner said:

like for what? putting a 6BT and a NV4500 in Flatty? ;)

what are joints in these? 1410's?
what's the deal with the yokes and the funky covers?
are they any more or less strong than a normal yoke?
I don't remember the joint number, but those are the u-joints from a heavy truck. The caps are bolted on. They are a real pain in the butt toget off when the cap seizes in the yoke bore. They are heavy as hell and there is a special tool to help remove the crosses when they are frozen in. Actually there are 2 tools, the 1st is a 10lb mini-sledge. The second uses a 1/2" air gun.
They came out with the style that bolts perpendicular (sp?) to the cross fro easier install/removal.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm..
wonder if I could talk Jess into putting a real shaft in the middle and providing some flanges.

have to give him a call on that one.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yeah, they are bigger than 1410. My buddy has one of them.

Can't really think of any use for it, but I think the slip must be pretty strong. That's the only part I could see you actually using

·
Registered
792 Posts
would you be interested in selling it? I need it for the flanges.. So I can mate my Ford Driveshafts to Rockwell axle flange...
Please let me know cause I am looking for some flanges... where on ebay did you find it??

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nice bottle:flipoff2: 99 though...that wine in the 97 was an awesome buy. I picked up a bottle of that from the winery a few months ago when I was in italy for 5 bucks.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Italked to Jess and he basically said it'd be a waste of time for me to screw around with it. it was a neat idea t the time :)

Rick, if you want it, it's yours for what I paid. ($24)

·
Registered
792 Posts
sold, would you mind shipping???? Do you have a paypal account? where can I send you money... Think about $30 in shipping to TexaS???? anyway let me know where to send $$$ will do ASAP... Thanks again.....

Rick

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sun,,,, did you ever get the shaft in the mail??? let me know So I can send you some $$$$

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Those joints dont work well at angles either. Not much room between the flange and the yoke, bottoms out at like 10 deg :rolleyes:

The one I have is like 5 feet long, but looks similar and has the crappy 1500 joints. Good conversation piece, but thats about it:flipoff2:

·
Registered
209 Posts
stick it on the fireplace mantel and stare at it. I aggree it is a cool piece though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts