Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well got my ram in. Its a 2x10 single arm. The thing is that i dont have alot of room. Plus i thought i could remove the bump stops. But i cant. I ran my DL on top of the knuckles. And it hits the pumpkin.Now should i run the ram at a angle or straight with the DL. Im thinking that if i run it straight it will put alot of pressure on the knuckle. What set up do you guys run. Here some pics.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well me and toymoto talked last night. And came up with a high steer arm that bolts to the knuckle up top and down at the drag link hole.And angle the ram some. I replaced the old bump stops with new ones and it will still turn 5inches.:D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well new problem with my ram. I guess that im running my knuckles flipped my ackerman is off. My knuckles are move up and down as the truck steers left to right. Do all rockwells do this or is it because of the the ackerman being backwords. here some pics.

One of the high steer arm i made.

How are you guys mounting your rams. Mine is binding as it turns. It trys to angle it down as it moves. Was thinking of moveing it to the drag link but it will do the same thing. The drag link moves up and down to. Really need help. My head hurts like hell from thinking about it.:confused:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no thoughts. Well been searching from like 4 hours. No hits yet. Will a heim joint help. But i dont think a 1 inch one will fit in my ram. :confused:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The arm is rasing like a 1 1/4. As it cycles from bump stop to bumpstop. In my eyes that a lot of bind.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i guess most guys are out wheeling. I should be out there to but a simple thing like mounting a ram that took toymoto 1hour to do. Takes me like a week because of bull shit. Like finding a resivor for a larger sawgan pump. No one has one. Its like finding a needle in a hay stack. It only took me a hour to built my high steer arm.I guess i'll go out with the wife and get drunk. And stop thinking about if for to night. And stare at it in the morning with a hang over.:beer: :beer: :rasta:

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
drill and tap the end of the ram and put a hime joint on it

it will also make it shorter!!

or just move somewhere different

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hay does your drag link move at a angle or up or down when it moves. i think it mite have some thing to do with my ackerman beening flipped.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You don't know what ackerman angle does, do you? Go here:
http://www.rctek.com/handling/ackerman_steering_principle.html

It has no role in this. The vertical movement in the steering arm is cause by the fact that your upper and lower kingpins are not directly above each other - the line your knuckle hinges around is not vertical (see blue line in pic). This causes various things, most notably return-to-center in normal steering setups. But it also means your steering will move up and down. It's normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
CASTER causes your steering arms to move up and down, not ackerman.

Your ram will bind if you don't use something to allow movement like a heim joint (already mentioned earlier). I would like to see heim joints at both ends and have the ram mounted as parallel to the tie rod as possible.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know i can put a heim on the ram side. But how in the hell can i pull one on the other end. Maybe just run a bolt thorw the pin hole and mount a burn to a peice of plate.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread but we are running into similiar problems today.

We haven't tested wtih this setup but we are considering it.
Right now the steel on the knuckle would be mounted like a hi-steer arm but if you rotate the rod
you can mount it vertical and this would allow for slight up/down travel right? Should be fine I`m thinking?

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album164/front_36.sized.jpg

But I don't see how it binds any different than if it were on the tie-rod?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my knuckles are flipped. So thats wear i get my problem. i havent had any problems after i got the angle right on the ram.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Ramrock said:
Well my knuckles are flipped. So thats wear i get my problem. i havent had any problems after i got the angle right on the ram.
So are ours. (Tie-Rod in front)

Do you have pics of how you ended up do ing yours?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ramrock said:
dumb question.. do your axles shafts stay on horz. center line when you turn left and right with the knuckles flipped? something doesnt sound right.:confused: the vert. measurement you observed doesn't seam good if it is relitive to the housing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts