Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm ASSuming most guys running rockwells are running the beefy 1.25" heims for steering, are you using the weld in bungs? If not what size tubing are most of you taping for the heims?

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
I bought my 1 1/4" tap for less than a hundred buck's.On my rockell's I have some 2" dom with a .250 wall that I am using.What I am doing is taking the exact measurement of it right now with the stock one on there.Then I will put that measurement on a piece of C channel for my jig.After that I will weld to studs on the jig of the size bolt's I need to fit through the factory steering knuckles.After that I will make flanges coming off the top and the bottom of the tube on each side where it can slide over each knuckle then put grade 8 bolt's through it to hold it on.It will be non-adjustable but it will be right the first time so no worries.It will also raise the tie rod about 2".I will try to do it on Christmas weekend and pot pic's so stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
i take the stock rockwell steering arm and cut the end off and slide them in a piece of SCH80 grade 500 pipe and weld them up. most of the ones i made are from bent stock arms that peaple have given me, so now i have plenty of spares.

i did not flip the TRE's over to the top yet but i will, just need to get the right reamer for the job. i think the stock arm is made from 1.5 OD wall tube so if you wanted to use a 2.0 OD tube with a .250 wall it should work to.

i used SCH80 because i got it for free so the arms cost me nothing to build, jason.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RockTonka said:
1 3/4" O.D. DOM 3/8 wall for tie rods
$24 a foot for that right now here :(
is that consistent with prices everywhere else?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
92redyj said:
$24 a foot for that right now here :(
is that consistent with prices everywhere else?

We just got some for significantly less than that from Tull Metals in Richmond. Might want to give them a call.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
oh ........... shit....... so what I'm gathering here is that the stock tierod and tre's isn't going to be up for the job?

:question: :nuke: :question:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
convertiyota said:
We just got some for significantly less than that from Tull Metals in Richmond. Might want to give them a call.
How much less? Arent taking any trips up to paragon or Rausch soon are you or anyone else from that area that could get it a little closer to me?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmmm how does this sound....
1.25" x .3125 Wall DOM( bored out to 1" at the end and tapped for stock tie rod)
sleeved with 1.5" x .120 wall DOM
that gives me a total thickness of .43" all DOM and the total on onlinemetals.com is $140 for this

The only concern of mine is that only leaves .120" on each side of the TRE in the first layer of tubing, that seems like plenty of metal to me, anyone think differently?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Im using 3/4 rod ends (taper to 3/4 bolt sleeve came from wagoneer machine) and 1.25 tubing .25 wall no failures yet. But then again my rig is a poser.

What ever you do dont stand on them :flipoff2:

:grinpimp: Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I am using 1.5 solid with the end tapped for the tie rod ends. I have plenty of the tie rod ends and they are pretty beefy...

L hand tap for stock rockwell tie rod end 38$ (at J and L)

R hand tap for stock rockwell tie rod end 36$ (J and L)

Dan Dibble's bikini pit crew.......................Priceless :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
92redyj said:
The only concern of mine is that only leaves .120" on each side of the TRE in the first layer of tubing, that seems like plenty of metal to me, anyone think differently?
any input on that?

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
If it ever cracked you could just sleave it there.I don't think there would be a problem though.I think the only guy's bending there tie rod's on the rock's are the ones that do not have it on the inside of the axle like on there rear stear set up's were they back into something.Is this what hapen to your's Banshee of destruction man.... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts