Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a picture of the space left between a 44" tire, and the knuckle, on a rockwell axle. 15x10 wheels would be ideal. The reason I ask is I am going to be making my rims soon, and I want to get as much backspacing as possible without allowing the tire to rub on the knuckle. I can easily measure the distance between the knuckle and wheel, but tire flex is another issue

CJ Lagos, I am really hoping to see a picture of your setup, as I read in a previous thread that your tire barely rubbed with a 44" tire, and 15x10 wheel, using 4" of BS. I am assuming this is with hubs in, am I correct?

At one point in time, there was a really good rockwell width thread with the exact picture I am looking for, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me!

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
This is the only pic I could find, but it is with 42s:

Your right, I had 15x10 with 4" BS. Never an issue with 42's but when I ran 44's there was some tire rub. I grinded down the "tit" on the outside of the knuckle and it seemed to do the trick. I was surprised it rubed, looked like there was plenty of room. Good luck.

CJ

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
bigjeepguy said:
ahh, that is perfect, thanks. So are you running hubs in then? I don't suppose you know what your total width is outside tire to outside tire?

Thanks.
Yes hubs in. I think outside to outside was 88" with 42's and 90-92 with 44's. Can't say for sure though.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I cut the arm off my knuckle so I could run 5.5" backspacing with 44s 15 x 10.

It's hard to see how much clearance there is in this pic, but the tires doesn't rub the arms at all.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Convertiyota, your pics are the EXACT ones I was looking for. For some reason I just didn't look thoroughly enough at your buildup thread when I was searching. Thanks fo all the pictures! Just an FYI, I am going to be running hubs out with 9" of BS.

Convertiyota, have you noticed any strength issues with your steering arms? I think I may do something similar.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
bigjeepguy said:
15x10 wheels would be ideal. The reason I ask is I am going to be making my rims soon, and I want to get as much backspacing as possible without allowing the tire to rub on the knuckle.
If you are running A link suspension, watch for the tire to rub on the links. I have 3" of clearence on by rear uppers but I have had enough sidwall flexx to have the bogger catch the link and bend it. 15s suck I asked Santa for some 20s but he said they didnt fit in his sleigh. :flipoff2:

Dan

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Dan Dibble said:
bigjeepguy said:
15x10 wheels would be ideal. The reason I ask is I am going to be making my rims soon, and I want to get as much backspacing as possible without allowing the tire to rub on the knuckle.
If you are running A link suspension, watch for the tire to rub on the links. I have 3" of clearence on by rear uppers but I have had enough sidwall flexx to have the bogger catch the link and bend it. 15s suck I asked Santa for some 20s but he said they didnt fit in his sleigh. :flipoff2:

Dan
Dan you just going to haft to soften up Santa real good to get them.... :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan Dibble said:
bigjeepguy said:

Dan
I wouldn't mind going 20s someday, but I just can't afford tires! On top of that, the tire varieties are still a little limited at that size.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
bigjeepguy said:
I wouldn't mind going 20s someday, but I just can't afford tires! On top of that, the tire varieties are still a little limited at that size.

Tires is the main reason I havent gone to 20s yet.

The second they come out with a IROC between the 49 and the 42 I will be all over it.

Dan

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
Dan Dibble said:

The second they come out with a IROC between the 49 and the 42 I will be all over it.

Dan

What is wrong with 49's

the rigs ive seen with them go like mad

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
bigjeepguy said:
Convertiyota, your pics are the EXACT ones I was looking for. For some reason I just didn't look thoroughly enough at your buildup thread when I was searching. Thanks fo all the pictures! Just an FYI, I am going to be running hubs out with 9" of BS.

Convertiyota, have you noticed any strength issues with your steering arms? I think I may do something similar.

Thanks.
Haven't noticed any strength issues at all. I've had it on it's side steering the rear and they have held up fine. I make sure to check the bolts on the arms atleast once every day of wheeling. But I always go over my entire rig anyways.

There is zero lbs of air in the tire right now, so this is about as close as it gets.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
bansheeman1 said:
What is wrong with 49's

the rigs ive seen with them go like mad

Nothing wrong with them. I just cant picture that big of a tire on my rig. I never said it wouldnt happen. I need to borrow someones first.

Dan

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
OK, just to prove that I searched, I'm bringing up this dead thread. :)

Convertiyota, what thickness is the steel you used for your arms? Looks like 3/4" to me ...

Also, with your stock arms cut off like you had them, do you think you could have pretty much run any BS you wanted using a custom steering arm? If not with a 15" wheel, then with a 17"?

Finally, forgive me if this is obvious, but I don't have my rockwells in front of me yet and I am just trying to plan it all out as good as posisble before I take the plunge. One last one ... on my old d60 it was pretty much impossible to make your own steering arms on top of the knuckle because the kinpin was essentially part of the arm and you had to do something to make up for the added space for the kningpin spring. BUt, from what I understand of the pics I've seen thus far, the arm on a rockwell goes on top of the kingpin cap. That, or the kingpin sits flush with the top of the knuckle. Either way, it appears that ya'll are just building some flat arms without recesses for the kingpins at all ... am I correct?

Or will this all just become obvious to me once i get my rocks in front of me?

J. J.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Dan Dibble said:

Dan
You and me both!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
patooyee said:
OK, just to prove that I searched, I'm bringing up this dead thread. :)

Convertiyota, what thickness is the steel you used for your arms? Looks like 3/4" to me ...

Also, with your stock arms cut off like you had them, do you think you could have pretty much run any BS you wanted using a custom steering arm? If not with a 15" wheel, then with a 17"?

Finally, forgive me if this is obvious, but I don't have my rockwells in front of me yet and I am just trying to plan it all out as good as posisble before I take the plunge. One last one ... on my old d60 it was pretty much impossible to make your own steering arms on top of the knuckle because the kinpin was essentially part of the arm and you had to do something to make up for the added space for the kningpin spring. BUt, from what I understand of the pics I've seen thus far, the arm on a rockwell goes on top of the kingpin cap. That, or the kingpin sits flush with the top of the knuckle. Either way, it appears that ya'll are just building some flat arms without recesses for the kingpins at all ... am I correct?

Or will this all just become obvious to me once i get my rocks in front of me?

J. J.

It will all be obvious when you get the rocks. But the kingpin is flush with the top of the knuckle. The kingpin plates are flat with no recesses in them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts