Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a source for rockwell torque specifications regarding front and rear axles?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Be careful though, I snapped a bolt in half when reinstalling the inspection plate. Then proceeded to break the easy out off too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find an answer on this, I think its still in a drawer.

I talked to a mechanic at Boyce equipment and he didn't really know specifically. He had just been doing it so many years that he knew. I think the military spec on them i base on bolt size because that is what he wanted to know from me. Asked me what size bolt was in question and then rattled off the torque spec.

I will look for the fax of specs if i get a chance tonight.

·
Registered
657 Posts
twinpinion said:
Does anybody actually know the real answer to this?

Ring gear/Carrier bolts?
Carrier Bearing Cap bolts?
Ring gear/Carrier bolts = real tight with an impact and then wire them up

Carrier Bearing Cap bolts = really, really tight with a 4ft breaker bar and socket... The line up the wire hole with the extra little snug down and wire them in...

What I was wondering is how you would check the carrier bearing preload - would you have to tear out the bull gear pinion and then check and reassemble or is really good and snug on the side adjusters good enough.... :p

I just ran mine in with the bull gear centered and the lash so it felt pretty much like all the other 3 chunks I had to compare against... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts