Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting to the end of my 4-link project on my 1985 4runner. Its linked front and rear with the Blue Torch Fab 4-link brackets on the axles. My lower links triangulate in to under the xfer case and the uppers are straight. I am running 2.5" air shocks in the front and 2.0's in the rear. Both axles are steering axles with the rear locked out till money is there for rear steer. The steering is on the back of both axles if this makes any difference at all. Also the hubs are flipped in to narrow the axles.

I was looking for some innovative ideas/pictures of rockwelled rigs with airbumps in "unique" locations. I know where I can put the cans on the fram side, its where the bump will hit the axle that I'm having a problem with!!!

This might not be the most hardcore question, but I'm stumped!!!

Dane

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Remember - if you're out of room in the vertical plane, you can always build a tower coming up and somewhat away from the axle with a strike pad for a bumpstop.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Not sure if there are any pics around but tim cameron's rig has them tucked more torwards the center of the axle, hell i didnt know he had them untill i got up close to the rig. I think his are more of a, keep the toploader out of the motor thing though.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember - if you're out of room in the vertical plane, you can always build a tower coming up and somewhat away from the axle with a strike pad for a bumpstop.

This might be the way I have to go, I was trying to avoid making it too outlandish, but I dont want my airshocks to be my bumpstops!!!

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if there are any pics around but tim cameron's rig has them tucked more torwards the center of the axle, hell i didnt know he had them untill i got up close to the rig. I think his are more of a, keep the toploader out of the motor thing though.
I love that rig!!! I will check it out, I was going a different route to keep the diff out of my motor, but will see if I can use his rig for some ideas. Thanks for the reply.

Dane

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
no airbump help, but you got any pix of the steering ram in the rear of the front w/ the links? im getting ready to link my rig in the near future and would like to mount the ram in the rear but have been having problems w/ fitment.
thanks

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no airbump help, but you got any pix of the steering ram in the rear of the front w/ the links? im getting ready to link my rig in the near future and would like to mount the ram in the rear but have been having problems w/ fitment.
thanks

Sorry about that, my tie-rod is in front of the front axle and in back of the rear axle. I couldnt fit my tie rod with my links.

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
no prob dude, i was thrown off by this

is your ram on the rear?
No, Im just a jackass and typed that incorrectly, my front axle has the ram and tie rod on the front of the axle, the rear axle has the tie rod on the back of the axle. The rear has the steering locked out till I have the cash for queer steer!!

Dane

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
What about building a landing pad off the side of the link towers, near the top?

That could also help strengthen them so they won't fold as easily.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
This thread sucks without pics!!!!Help us visualize what you are having trouble with!!!!

Or just strap that clown Kum-rad to the top of the axle and just have him cushion the big bumps????

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about building a landing pad off the side of the link towers, near the top?

That could also help strengthen them so they won't fold as easily.

The towers wont need xtra strenght, but that is a kick ass idea building off the tops of the towers. I will take a look this week, but I think this will work perfectly!!!!!!!!

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thread sucks without pics!!!!Help us visualize what you are having trouble with!!!!

Or just strap that clown Kum-rad to the top of the axle and just have him cushion the big bumps????
I'll grab some pics this week/weekend if I get a chance to get out to the shop!! Kumrag as a bumpstop would be fine, but I dont think that the longevity would be there!!!

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres how Coleworx does their airbumps..

Tried finding pix of T.C.s but this will have to do :flipoff2:

Will this setup still be useful in "articulation bump" or is this more for big center hits and keeping the chunk out of the chassis or motor??

Dane

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found this picture. AirBumps and rockwells
Thanks MADRAM, it looks like the skid/bumper for the ram and the landing pad for the airbumps!! Airbumps will be in today, will take some pictures tonight of ideas that I have come up with!!

Dane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts