Good day to everyone

Starting in on my latest project-

Stats:

1989 Ford Bronco XLT
assumed 143K miles
5.0/302
4 speed auto (AOD)
8.8 Rear/D44 TTB Front

The plan here is a do-all/overland type rig. I've got a young family (kids 1 & 4) and we'll use this bronco for weekend+ getaways to wherever.

For suspension, we are going to stick with the D44 TTB. The suspension is geared towards desert/prerunning, and I chose not to go solid axle swap in this case for a couple reasons. First, I've always been fascinated by these TTB long travel setups, but never had or built one. Second, a smooth ride over crappy, rutted out roads will be a possibly the most important thing this vehicle does. Third, every body else has a solid axle this or that around here, nice to be different.

Suspension/Steering:
Threat Motorsports extended beam kit
-2.5" per side extended cut & turned beams
-Coilover mounts & cross bar <-haven't pulled the trigger on coilovers yet
-Q80 leafs in the rear with new shock mounts (14" stroke, 2.5 or 3" body capable)
-Double Swing Steering system

Found a 9" on CL off a 1984 E-150. The E-150 was important because these were 3" wider than the Bronco 9" rear ends of the early 80's. Since I'm going wider up front, needed to widen the rear as well.
Started into this while I waited on parts. Haven't finished it yet, will tackle after I get to a stopping point on the front suspension.

Here's the new driver's side beam. Beautiful work by Threat Motorsports

And the rest of the goodies from Threat Motorsports

I started by prepping all the parts & spraying them with Steel-it. Never used Steel-It before, but it sprayed well & looks pretty tough. Weldable too, which is good because I have coilover tabs to weld on the beams still. But this might save me from taking the suspension back apart. I can touch up where I need to weld.

Then I started tearing into & cleaning up the front.

And started mocking the beams

Needs:
Coilovers/Shocks/Bumps
9" Third Member w/ARB & 35 Spline axles. Recommendations?
Wheels/Tires
Fiberglass fenders

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the pics of the 9" I am working off of. Got distracted mid-fitment of the truss when all the suspension goodies showed up so haven't finished it yet.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Sub'd.

I really don't think you'll find the TTB ride to be much better. But that stuff looks interesting.
Why? Because your 8" superlift coils rode like ass? :rolleyes:

He's planning on coilovers, TTB will ride better than a solid axle. I was actually just talking to a guy who ditched his long travel coil over TTB for a coil over dana 60, he said the ride is not near as good, but he was going for strength.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What did you spray before the steel-it? I don't think you'll be able to weld on it anymore.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did you spray before the steel-it? I don't think you'll be able to weld on it anymore.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have my doubts on it but even so, I can clean up the spots I need to weld as worst case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW I was told by the PO that I have the Q80's in the rear of the Blanc-Oh! They ride nice, but they change ride height with not a lot of gear added or subtracted behind the back seat. It was suggested that I might better benefit from the "J40" springs (I *think* I have that p/n right). Supposedly not quite as much ultimate wheel travel, but less sensitive to different loadings than the Q80'as appear to be.

I bought this FSB to do the jobs that you're wanting yours for and additionally for chasing a couple local desert racers. However I'm keeping this one firmly in the "mid-strokey Bronco" range and not going to c/o's, by-passes, etc. Anxiously awaiting delivery of a Protofab rear bumper for it. I didn't like any of the rear bumper options that I found on desert prep FSB pages because none carry the spare outside.

On my way home form the Parker 425:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW I was told by the PO that I have the Q80's in the rear of the Blanc-Oh! They ride nice, but they change ride height with not a lot of gear added or subtracted behind the back seat. It was suggested that I might better benefit from the "J40" springs (I *think* I have that p/n right). Supposedly not quite as much ultimate wheel travel, but less sensitive to different loadings than the Q80'as appear to be.

I bought this FSB to do the jobs that you're wanting yours for and additionally for chasing a couple local desert racers. However I'm keeping this one firmly in the "mid-strokey Bronco" range and not going to c/o's, by-passes, etc. Anxiously awaiting delivery of a Protofab rear bumper for it. I didn't like any of the rear bumper options that I found on desert prep FSB pages because none carry the spare outside.

Awesome Bronco!

Interesting note about the Q80’s. I already bought the Q80’s unfortunately. In my research I had found they ride high if the vehicle is real light but I wasn’t concerned about that since we this rig would be loaded down most of the time. We’ll see how they work! Hopefully the ride height issues aren’t too drastic.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why? Because your 8" superlift coils rode like ass? :rolleyes:

He's planning on coilovers, TTB will ride better than a solid axle. I was actually just talking to a guy who ditched his long travel coil over TTB for a coil over dana 60, he said the ride is not near as good, but he was going for strength.

They don’t SAS these rigs for building prerunners for a reason. TTB may not have a place on a dedicated crawler but they do have their benefits. Ability to soak up ruts & bumps at speed is definitely one of them. Heck I even saw a Cherokee that had a TTB system swapped into it.

Just always been fascinated by them. I expect the D44 to hold up to the abuse I will subject it to. Planning on running 35’s.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
With the short WB, Bronco's are really sensitive to loading. When I had mine loaded with my dirt bike on the hitch carrier and the spare and gas can back there it looked like it was doing a wheelie. You could carry the drivers side front tire around corners with ease.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
They don’t SAS these rigs for building prerunners for a reason. TTB may not have a place on a dedicated crawler but they do have their benefits. Ability to soak up ruts & bumps at speed is definitely one of them. Heck I even saw a Cherokee that had a TTB system swapped into it.

Just always been fascinated by them. I expect the D44 to hold up to the abuse I will subject it to. Planning on running 35’s.

I agree, I was on your side :flipoff2:

I've been curious about them for a while, I've had the idea to use about every style ttb in about any rig you could think of :laughing:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, I was on your side :flipoff2:

I've been curious about them for a while, I've had the idea to use about every style ttb in about any rig you could think of :laughing:

Haha. I know! I was adding to the argument!

Got momma and kids to bed. Started a little cleanup. One of the spindles threads wasn’t in the best shape, gonna order new ones.

Also broke my ball joint press trying to get the passenger side ball joints out. Gonna drop them off to get the old ones pressed out tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome Bronco!

Interesting note about the Q80’s. I already bought the Q80’s unfortunately. In my research I had found they ride high if the vehicle is real light but I wasn’t concerned about that since we this rig would be loaded down most of the time. We’ll see how they work! Hopefully the ride height issues aren’t too drastic.

Thanks! If it ever comes back I had the beginnings of a re-build/modify thread on GFB.

Currently working on a second battery tray. Have the battery bank switch & ACR already in place. Discovered that the OEM battery tray is designed for a Group 65 battery even though by now most seem to have G34/78 in there. Look up the specs on those 65's, Rabbit diesels used those because of their glow-plug requirements. In an Odyssey that's a 950 CCA, 145 A-Hr battery. So I bought one and will be using the "BLEM" Motorcraft G65 that was the starting battery as the aux until it dies. Then funds permitting I'll buy a second Odyssey.

Off to look into Steel-It....

·
Registered
17,546 Posts

My set up:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts