Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a couple pirate friends talked me into posting up my build thread here to let you all check it out and get ideas if need be. Well I will catch you up to where I am at today. I started with a semi built 03’ wrangler and decided that it was about time for the Jeep to catch up with my driving. Having a small off-road fabrication company on the side last year allowed me to collect many of the tools I have now to do everything myself which was nice.
Well, here is the Jeep before I started.

Here it is torn down in my 2 car garage.

The D60 front and D70 rear.
When I got it

Now

When I got it

Now

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some Parts:
Atlas 10:1 4spd with HAD 1350 drive flanges

42” Iroks 17” softies and Offroad overstock beadlocks

QA1 Rock Hard rebuildable joints.

Axle parts: Seals, Kingpin rebuild kits, Front a rear ARB’s, 35 spline d60 outers, and 5.13 gears.

RCI fuel Cell with Kore fuel pump ring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK enough of that, on to the fab work.
Here are axles built and setting at their new wheel base (108”).

Front suspension tacked into place.

Rebuilt the front of the frame and straighten it out

I then redid the back half by following the bottom of the tub all the way back.
Before with the body already cut.

After (with the rear Antirock tube in place)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skid plate that I fabed up to be removable which will be skinned with 3/4” UHMW.

The D70 all trussed up with a triangulated 4 link.

Front 16” and rear 14” fox coilovers with King springs

And here it is finally off jack stands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On to the cage. I wanted to still fit the factory soft top which made it quite hard but was able to get everything to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This bring us up to the present with getting the seats installed and getting the cage tied into the frame. Here are the front seats (Race trim) installed and am currently working on getting the rear 48” race trim seat installed since I have three kidos that will need to be riding in the back. Wow what a tight fit it will be but oh well just about everything on this build as been a tight fit.

The front is setting about where I need it but I still have to add some more weight to the back to adjust the rear coilovers perfectly. Here is how it sets now.

Also here is a link to all of the build pics if you are board and want to check them out.
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44/03-Rocky/Rocky Build/

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looks good, I like to simple straight forward aproach. What material is the xmember made out of, and how much does it weigh?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good, I like to simple straight forward aproach. What material is the xmember made out of, and how much does it weigh?
Thanks guys. I built the frame sections out of 4x2 3/16" and braced it with 1.5 1/4 wall and .120 wall tubing. The back half wieghts about 30lbs more then then stock section I cut out with out the back bumper welded on. The center skid I built out of 1.750 and 1.5 .120 wall and is still light enoght for me to hold up and built in place (I never wieghed it sorry).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Great build up. Fab work is top notch!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
That's a beautiful rig you have there. Nice work and I can't wait to see the end result.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks again Twisty, OkLaHoMaYJ, and JCTJ. I hope to have it finished up by the end of the year but you know how that goes sometimes. After that we just may see you JCTJ.

Yeah, Yeah doggyhouse, you need to get back over here and give me some motivation.

Nice job, what are you doing for mounting harnesses?
Thanks, I should have some tabs coming in this week from Copperhead fab so I can install my RJS camlock harnesses that came in the other day. I will also be putting on some Crowe harness pads which match the gray harnesses.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Where did you get all your suspension brackets?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tube work looks incredible. One question though? Do you plan on using your receiver hitch? How are you going to get a through pin in the behind the bumper with the two side bars on each side. It may have any easy answer, I was just curious.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts