Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I've used many of Heim joint brands but after I used JJ on a suspension that's all I'm using EVER. The threaded ones are even better.....It don't take a rocket scientist to make a tool to put them together....:D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Will heims handle more angle? I have a JJ at the front of my traction bar, and it will max the angle out with leaf springs.:confused:
Also, will a JJ on one end of a link and a spring bushing on the other handle enough angle for a 4-link suspension?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
beyer05 said:
Also, will a JJ on one end of a link and a spring bushing on the other handle enough angle for a 4-link suspension?
no clue on a JJ but my evo heim's dont even come close to maxing out with bushings at the axle.

good comparison of jj's and the evo's here --------->http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Joints/

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
carwash said:
That is an awesome article...thanks for the link, how did i ever not see that...fucking newb that i am.

i dont know but im stalking you just to watch that avatar.

wheres the rest o them pics :smokin:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sceep, cool to see you using the EVO's and a bushing at the axle end, I was thinking the same on the crawler I am building right now. No max out issues at all eh? great to hear that both technically and financially. You just use every day spring bushings?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
no problems at all.. same isues i had with $$ and thinking about buying 16 of em. :eek: was happy in the end that 8 worked out fine. next time i have it flexed out i'll get a shot of them at full stretch.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:
they show them in PolyPerformances mount and the mountin width for them is is 2 5/8

I like the looks of these, but I'd like a little bigger bolt. I have 9/16" grade 8 bolts in about half of my suspension links and I've never had a problem with them yet. Has anyone had problems bending or breaking a 9/16" bolt?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Personally for a single lower link I would use a 1" spherical bearing (aka monoball).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
sceep said:
evo heims. rebuildable, lubeable, beefy
...,canadian lol. they look nice and strong. Ill go with either those or the 2.5 JJs. The rubber or poly bushing is sounding good on the axle end. It will save me cash and a little better ride since it is still my DD.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After a little bit of figurin, one joint will be fine per end. the 30 degrees of flex on a 65 inch wide axle will get me 32 inches of articulation at the wheel and I will only have 15 inch travel coil overs mounted about 40 inches apart. They cant even keep up with that so there is no use usin one on each end.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
I absolutely love the forged jj's from currie. I bought a few shortly after they came out and now want way more. Best idea ever and it took way to long for something like this to hit the market. However, I remember when Currie was just releasing them they said they were forged 1045 steel. Now on PIG's site it's saying they're forged from 4130 steel. Does anyone know if they have actually changed material or where the inconsistency is?

Any help with the question at the end of my previous post?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
beyer05 said:
Are those rebuildable?
You just replace the spherical bearing (aka monoball or uniball) and keep the housing and spacers. Sphericals aren't that much $$$ and they will last a long time before you need to do anything to them (heck they will take a while to break in so they move free). Those are what all the desert guys use instead of ball joints. They can take a good amount of axial load.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts