Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gathering parts to do a front 3 link on my 02 Grand Cherokee. I've spent ALOT of time searching what seems like an endless sea of rod ends/johnny joints. In searching for 1.25" shank joints, I have seen prices from $39.99 (Trail gear) to $99.95 (Currie). I have lots of fab experience, but I have not scratch-built a suspension before:homer:. Which joints are preferred by the masses, and why? My rig sees 80% street/ 20%trails.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
RuffStuff for basic long lasting, proven strong and well backed heims

EMF for ultimate, rebuildable, lifetime warranty rodends

JJ's... I got nothing.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even for a mostly street driven rig I should go with heims>jjs? I know I sound like a stoopid fawkin noob:homer: But I only want to do this once.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
decision time.
no experience with driving either on the road, that said most will say JJ absorb a bit of vibes, where as a heim will transmit more vibes.

imo, if your building a suspension, you're probably running a larger/meatier tire, bought some good shocks, and understand you're not driving a caddy... so a few vibes can be dealt with.

decision time.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm running a modified rubicon express 5" TJ lift kit with RE shocks and 33" km2s. I'm not too worried about a few vibes... I just want to do things right the first time around. My main concern is durability of the different joints on something that sees alot of street time. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Standard 1.25" Johnny Joints last forever compared to any rod end or cartridge joint that I have ever seen. Ruff Stuff heims can be stronger and if you were building an Ultra4 car I would say to go that way. For your application the Johnny Joints win.

·
Registered
788 Posts
For a mainly street driven truck, I would do a poly bushing on one end and a ruff stuff heim on the other. Keeps the cost down and still allows you some adjustability.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Standard 1.25" Johnny Joints last forever compared to any rod end or cartridge joint that I have ever seen. Ruff Stuff heims can be stronger and if you were building an Ultra4 car I would say to go that way. For your application the Johnny Joints win.
I agree 100%

I've been running my long arms with johnny joints on most corners with bushings on the rest for damn near 6 years now. I've never had to touch any of the large johnny joints, but had to replace the inserts in one of the small ones a few months ago due to a little slop. The rebuild cost me a whopping $8

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So, with the general consensus being JJs, do I need to fork out the $$$ for the curries, or are any of the cheaper options worthwhile? Thanks again for the info, I had a sneaking suspicion that I would get told to gargle a bowl of dicks :homer:

Edit- AP, are you running a radius arm setup? Its been a while since I looked at your build and I couldn't remember...

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Yep I'm on radius arms, a modified Claytons setup actually. I just pulled this pic up for another thread a few days ago. The UCA has the small JJ at the lower control arm, ruffstuff polys at the axle. The lower control arms have JJ's at the frame and factory jeep rubber bushings at the axle.
The rear LCA's are johnny joints at the frame, factory jeep bushings at the axle. UCA's are factory bushings at the frame, johnny joints at the axle. I see that combination damn near ideal for what I have (radius arms and single triangulated rear)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So, with the general consensus being JJs, do I need to fork out the $$$ for the curries, or are any of the cheaper options worthwhile? Thanks again for the info, I had a sneaking suspicion that I would get told to gargle a bowl of dicks :homer:

Edit- AP, are you running a radius arm setup? Its been a while since I looked at your build and I couldn't remember...
I also agree with JJ's for you application. The Grand being a unibody will transfer a bunch of road noise and such. Rod ends would be worse than a JJ that has a softer urethane bushing encased ball.

As for the cost of the JJ's- Currie makes a forged 1-1/4" shank x 2.5" Body x 2-5/8" mounting version that most people buy for $41.95 seen here... https://dirt-fab.3dcartstores.com/2-12-Forged-Body-Johnny-Joint-With-2-58-Mounting-Width_p_66.html This is the JJ most people are running. The $99 version JJ is a billet chromoly version, which would be total overkill IMO for your application.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome info here. Thanks for the help everyone, looks like I will be running JJs:smokin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts