Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm starting to get stuff together to make my track bar. I need to decide what kind of joints I'll be using. I don't want to use a heim because of the harshness. This rig will be driven on the streets a lot, so comfort is a factor.

It's a Dana 60 with 54" radius arms, 10" of wheel travel. Would some bushings be adequate? Or will I see a benefit from going to a Johnny Joint?

I'm thinking with my 54" radius arms, the axle should move pretty much in a straight line vertically over my 10" wheel travel, so I'm leaning with going with some poly bushings. Anyone have any experience with either on a rig this heavy (6000 lbs)?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I’m going to say a regular poly bushing is going to have too much deflection in it and will probably wear fairly quickly. Using a hiem isn’t going to cause any harshness in ride for a track bar, that’s what I’d use if I was doing it.

BDS uses bushings for a their 6-8” kits for the Fords and Dodges, but it is almost plastic, not urethane.

And as far as lateral axle swing, that is determined by the track bar arc, not the radius arms.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm a fan of factory-style rubber bushings if you aren't going for big travel stuff. I don't like poly bushings in general.

I'm using 80-series Land Cruiser track bar bushings in the front panhard of my 100 series Cruiser. it's not 6000 lbs, but it's probably not far under 5K. I expect these bushings to last a LONG time with no attention. (on my 80 series, they're still stock since 1993 and 230K miles)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Byro. I should have clarified, I wasn't speaking about the lateral movment, but the front-to-back movement as the axle moves in the arc of the radius arms.

A setup I saw online used a bushing at the frame mount, and a heim or JJ at the axle side. I may consider doing something like that.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I use bushings. No issues here.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I've used Heims ,never understood what guys are talking about...harness?

Street trucks, trail rigs etc never a issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts