Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, getting ready to build my rear four link. i have 3/4 inch heim joints and missalignment spacers that reduce to use a half inch bolt. having second thought on this setup. worried about strength. anybody running this setup or had bad luck with the bolts breaking?
thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
3/4" x 3/4" would be ok for uppers but i'd go bigger on the lowers...at the very least 7/8" shank by 3/4" bolt hole. I'd feel better running a 1" or 1.25" shank though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is the plan...... 78 f150 . no dog house shortened wedged hood with all inner structure removed. rear mounted rad,battery, dual propane tanks, 60s, 203 205 doubler, 351m c6, cab cut off at bottom door hinges at angle, plated in with quarter inch to bottom of frame. no box shortend wheelbase, frame cut off at cab, back half tubed and tied into exocage. weight is questionable. tire size 40 low power 351 . maybe weight in the neiborhood of 3500 4000 #s

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Doing a similar project & would love to see pics of that rig! Please?:D

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
loveshackle said:
Doing a similar project & would love to see pics of that rig! Please?:D
me too :)
I have the same thing on the drawing board for a 78 snowfighter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone, still getting parts together, have about everything though planning on starting fab after the first of 07. will get pics.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Even 3/4-16x 5/8 heims would be fine. 5/8 heims are stronger and a 5/8 grade 8 bolt aint gonna shear off!!
I hammer on my EB and my tabs are all 3/16 plate with 5/8 bolts, I weigh in around 5k. Nothing broken yet. Oh and i have wishbone upper links with johnny joint and they are 9/16 bolts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
How about using Rubicon Express Super Flex Joints. You can buy them weld on or as complete welded and built assemblies and they use a 9/16" bolt. Other parts are available for making the arms adjustable as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
already bought this stuff really cheap on ebay, store name is real products. i think i will drill out my misalignment spacers to accept a five eights bolt seeing that i already have them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good luck with that...unless you have a lathe...most misalignment spacers are made out of stainless(very hard). This will be a bitch....go as slow as possible if your gonna try it....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts