Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a d44 rear with disc brakes and wonder if I will need anything to make the brakes work with my system. I got rear drums now, 4 wheel abs, and will be swapping in a front d44 waggy axle as well. And what about the abs? How do I dissable it, or should I keep it working?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
what kind of rig do you have?? that would help!

as an FYI i've got a 1in toy brake master, D44 front rodeo rear and the brakes kick ass :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
do those rodeo 44's take normal 44 gears? 5.38?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
eb88 said:
do those rodeo 44's take normal 44 gears? 5.38?

they take a regular 44 gearset, but they have different pinion bearing's and are a crush sleeve design, it's the same case as teh CAD D44's in the front of dodge pickup's

the nice part is they're disc brake, and a metric 6 lug stock :D

ut make sure you have SAE and metric tools to work on them!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a '99 Nissan pu. and the rear d44 is complete from wms to wms, with manual e brake lines and the hydraulic lines for the brakes. I am gearing it with 513's and a locker, and want some chevy springs. I have heard that I will need a equalizer or something to switch over to disc rear brakes. Any pics of your swap? Any links for parts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
swap?? see my sig ;)

i'm using a bone stock toy 1inbore brake master, no equalizer's no prop valves nothin...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
TRed said:
I have a '99 Nissan pu. and the rear d44 is complete from wms to wms, with manual e brake lines and the hydraulic lines for the brakes. I am gearing it with 513's and a locker, and want some chevy springs. I have heard that I will need a equalizer or something to switch over to disc rear brakes. Any pics of your swap? Any links for parts? Thanks

Where did you pick up the rear end at and what did you pay for it? Just courious because I want one for my jeep:D If you can't make it work send the thing to me:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
TTP toyota truck parts 866-292-9495. they also do ISUZU trucks.they have a shit load of disc brake dana44's. i think $200 was the going price.:D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
nosmogGMC said:
TTP toyota truck parts 866-292-9495. they also do ISUZU trucks.they have a shit load of disc brake dana44's. i think $200 was the going price.:D

Do Isuzu trucks have the Dana 44 rears also?

I think that I could actually find an Isuzu truck in the yards around here. Definitally no Rodeos though.

:cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Rodeo and Amigo (Rodeo Sport) from 98 up have the D44 in the rear. Troopers and earlier Isuzus have the corporate 12 bolt rear. Supposed to be stronger than a 44, but hard to get mods for.

The other issue is that Isuzu did something weird in the 44. They put 4.30 gears on a 3.73 carrier, so when you regear you need to either get a thick cut gear or replace the carrier. I had to order 2 ARBs when I installed it in my 'Migo cause I had forgot this fact.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
quick clarification:

the there are 2 verions of the Isuzu D44

1 came in leaf sprung Rodeos 1993-1997- this is the easier one to find had either 4.10 or 4.30 (depending on OEM wheel package) thick gears on a low ratio carrier (3.92 & down)...30 spline w/ disk brakes. about 58" wide (i think)

run regular gears in it w/ the correct carrier ....i run this axle in one of my trucks w/ a Detroit and 5.38's

the second one:

2. came in the rear of the new body style trucks 98-2003 rodeos, amigos, rodeo sport (also amigo). this one is set up for coils, had 4.10's, 4.30 w/ 6cyl...or 4.77 w/ 4cyl

also thick gear on low ratio carrier...again swap all out for matching set up.

also this axle is wider than the older one....by a couple inches...but i don't remember the exact measure.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the 513's I am getting need a series 4 carrier or a series 3 carrier? I have a 4 and whatever it has stock but now I am not sure which one to use. I am planning on a drop in locker type, that uses the open carrier. Thanks for the replies men.:beer:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and I have the d44 with leafs and 58"s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts