Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I hear you on simple. For me I don't bend enough to keep it fresh in my head. Bend Tech allows me to draw up a VERY complex part or assembly and quickly build it with no crap tube.

I don't know what it costs now but I have made my $300+ investment back many times over. Caveat would be I am good with drafting, CAD and coordinate systems, I know not everyone is.
15 years ago i was really good with cad, now its mostly stuff for the cnc plas. i'm really quick and good with soap stone and a floor i havent yet felt the need to computer design. for my work often analog is much more productive. my work is mostly by bid, and if i thought there was a chance cad could be more lucrative i'd be all over it. as it is i hire out allot of cad work on the design/ creative end. the same machine i have with cnc control is an extra $25k, i'm sure its worth it to some people but for me it wont happen.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It will get you close but I found that every piece of steel is different!!!
I have the same issues with my slip roller, set it and it rolls one piece perfect and the next piece is over or under rolled.
i dont have the time in on the bender yet to now the real world difference. but this really rings true to me i've had a bunch of job drop profit on account of material variance.

the job i remember most, was a fire place surround i had to order the same material 3 times to get a uniform product.

the tool has always been the easy purchase, the cost of learning, and'or experience is tough to project. i like learning and a challenge so we'll see how this endeavor goes. i wont lose its just a matter of time before it's all wining

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
well, that is sweet :smokin: hadn't seen the roll test pics before

edit: what size pins does that thing use to get those tight bends all in one shot?

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
It will get you close but I found that every piece of steel is different!!!
I have the same issues with my slip roller, set it and it rolls one piece perfect and the next piece is over or under rolled.
Unfortunately this is very true. I've found that out rolling rings with rod. Get it dialed in on one stick of rod, move to the next one and it's completely different. Aggravating!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
well, that is sweet :smokin: hadn't seen the roll test pics before

edit: what size pins does that thing use to get those tight bends all in one shot?
the shaft size is 1-3/16" and their in a plate thats around 2" thick.

i've got to make 6 48" rings out of 1.5" sch 40 pipe by the end of the week, hopefully they roll consistant enough i wont have to mess with adjustments. i'll post the results

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
well i didn't get to start the job until last, after a couple of drinks. it wasn't good. in my beer fog i kept forgeting that single pass settings and multi pass would be differnt and to adjust the side offsets. also didn't de grease the material before hand and it was slipping. also pipe would slip and roll, side to side, hard to manage with such a long stick out...

just like everything else, this was way easier in my head. and messing around with no real goal makes it seam real simple. i really need to find an online class or youtube tutorial to get me headed in the right direction. haven't looked too hard yet but i haven't seen much good info out there, i sent an email to the eagle rep i've been dealing with asking about training and learning options.

this evening will be round two, luckily i got a little over double the needed material knowing it would be making some scrap, uh, future art project material, haha.

it was too embarrassing to mid process picks, here is the disappointment i left as i called it a night. ones not bad but too small, the other two are wonky as fuck. i think in-feed support would help, the long end nearly hits the 18-20' ceiling but the time i had the bending roll set to bend in one shot. jobs due mon morning, hope it works and doesn't screw the rest of the schedule too bad i really need to get jobs out to powder and galv by end of day tomorrow as well.

i see the material on the floor and in my head i hear the coach from letter kenny "Fucking Embarrassing!"

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have built some rolled stuff before and had success but I wasn't rolling to a dimension and I didn't have a machine that could one shot bend so I could sneak up on the "fit".

I always thought if I had a spec and machine that had more power I would buy the radius gauges so I could creep up on it with out pulling in and out of the machine.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Arc_Master_Small_Radius_Gauge_Set_RG_750_955

edit: Those are for smaller radius up to 30" you might want this set instead 6-144"
https://www.trick-tools.com/Arc_Master_Large_Radius_Gauge_Set_RG_3600_1341

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I have built some rolled stuff before and had success but I wasn't rolling to a dimension and I didn't have a machine that could one shot bend so I could sneak up on the "fit".

I always thought if I had a spec and machine that had more power I would buy the radius gauges so I could creep up on it with out pulling in and out of the machine.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Arc_Master_Small_Radius_Gauge_Set_RG_750_955

edit: Those are for smaller radius up to 30" you might want this set instead 6-144"
https://www.trick-tools.com/Arc_Master_Large_Radius_Gauge_Set_RG_3600_1341

i just ordered the large radius ones. i hope they are good, knowing the resulting radius in a foot of bend would be very nice.

well, i got the job done. all 6 rings are within 3/4", they have some deflection, but best i could manage.

i can now see the value of a machine bending horizontal, the weight over top wants to lean to one side or the other, creating a spiral. until i have time to build a different mount for it, i used the forklift to keep the roll from spiraling.

i definitely lost material, scraped 4/10 pcs. cost of education. at least half of it will end up in other projects.

also got some bend in 2x3x.120 tube, 10" in 20'. definitely hard to get the material to bend the same. these are for a clean 'modern' type look carport. will all be hot dip galv and probably clear poly roofing. maybe tin.

i've got alot to learn on this machine. i want a calculator for the bends, it take a bit to wrap your head around. for example i can run 4 passes to get to the radius i want on one piece. but to recreate that radius one shot requires less deflection than the final bend on four passes. hope that makes sense

photo links if they still dont work; https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDkydvTL1wwyJHLT6

·
today
1,570 Posts
i just ordered the large radius ones. i hope they are good, knowing the resulting radius in a foot of bend would be very nice.

well, i got the job done. all 6 rings are within 3/4", they have some deflection, but best i could manage.

i can now see the value of a machine bending horizontal, the weight over top wants to lean to one side or the other, creating a spiral. until i have time to build a different mount for it, i used the forklift to keep the roll from spiraling.

i definitely lost material, scraped 4/10 pcs. cost of education. at least half of it will end up in other projects.

also got some bend in 2x3x.120 tube, 10" in 20'. definitely hard to get the material to bend the same. these are for a clean 'modern' type look carport. will all be hot dip galv and probably clear poly roofing. maybe tin.

i've got alot to learn on this machine. i want a calculator for the bends, it take a bit to wrap your head around. for example i can run 4 passes to get to the radius i want on one piece. but to recreate that radius one shot requires less deflection than the final bend on four passes. hope that makes sense
pic doesn't show :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
well crap, i did the right click copy img address, and insert image. from google photos

not really sure how to fix it, i re entered the img address on the pics?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The images in google photos need to be in a shared album, not just in your personal "photos" or in a private album.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The images in google photos need to be in a shared album, not just in your personal "photos" or in a private album.
put them in a shared album. let me know if it works now. if that works then i also fixed a photo in a previous post, of the first fails

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
put them in a shared album. let me know if it works now. if that works then i also fixed a photo in a previous post, of the first fails
Now you need to update the post img urls with ones from the album.

My workflow is:
- upload/get photos in google photos
- put photos in new album
- share album by clicking "create link"
- in the album, copy the image URL for whatever image you want, embed in post with IMG tags

works 100% of the time

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
thanks for the workflow. i did just that and updated the the image address's. (last time i linked images i had already 'shared', didn't realize that was needed, i think i have it figured out now)

i checked from another computer and they seem to be working.

here is some other recent work just to be sure pictures are working.

stair stringers and cable railing posts

different railing, matches interior home details

gate

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Pics work like a champ now. Nice metalwork man. I especially like that staircase.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You do some nice work.

Do you have any experience with sliding gates? I have a 4+ year "gate from hell" build going on and have some roller placement questions.

Also I saw a spiral attachment on Eagles site that looks like it would really help for building spiral railings and it seems horizontal bending would be a huge help.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts