Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
You do some nice work.

Do you have any experience with sliding gates? I have a 4+ year "gate from hell" build going on and have some roller placement questions.

Also I saw a spiral attachment on Eagles site that looks like it would really help for building spiral railings and it seems horizontal bending would be a huge help.
i have only ever made one sliding gate. it was simple with angle iron on the ground angle up, and wheels that fit with an acetel/ delrin slider up top. i set up the gate mechanisms but dont do any wiring (not allowed per licence) i'm licensed and insured as a general contractor and welder.

what i know about gate and automation is that building them is the easy part. and the automation, you get what you pay for and the installers are just as important. the viking automation system on the gate pictured is going to run $5k minimum, up to $10k is in the budget for it. keypad lock on the side man gate and punch pad and garage door opener style clickers for the main gate.

the gate with side pieces i haven't final billed yet but will be in the $7-9k range (time and material job). with the openers, stone pilar, etc. i'm sure they are in around $30k for the driveway gate. also, this in on a $1mil+ home.

gates are simple, automation is expensive.

as for the spiral staircase bending tool... (its not listed but the add on price given to me when purchasing the machine was $2,340) not gonna happen. after this weeks learning experience i will be mounting the bender differently in a very heavy duty cage to help with offsets and keeping the larger rolling from deflecting.

and because i think i gothe picture thing down now, here's a job from december. stainless rsw refer system plumbing on a boat while in the water. finished the day after christmas, then drove 28hrs to glamis for new years

·
Registered
467 Posts
Man that looks killer. Every time I think I have stainless down I weld up some asteroid turds... Maybe you just need a "shop" thread LOL.

The automation won't be bad for this customer he is a electrical contractor and has that covered. The scale of the gate is the killer, 30' opening 36' long gate 12' tall at the arch peak.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
is that the gate on linear opener? thats huge, especially since it looks one piece. hard to get the stability as it opens if you have to keep the upper guide below the surrounding fence height. it will have to weight a ton when done i would think.

with automation, hooking it up is the easy part. convincing the customer to spend enough money on the hardware to get a quality unit the hard part. the viking r6 swing openers i've used on the last couple gates run $1500ish each, then goes up from there. i have found anything cheaper always has problems and call backs.

maybe a shop thread later, mostly trying to post pictures a couple times in a row so i dont forget how to.

stainless plumbing like this is easy to weld, but the fit up is a pain. i was using a kobelco fcaw-g wire that welds just as easy as any other dual shield wire. the seam less counter tops and thin stainless that is the hard stuff, i bill 10hrs just for one full seam, backsplash and nosing.

update on the tube rolling job;
they picked up the material monday morning to finish at their shop. i may have already said it but... these will go around a pile be driven spaced every 7 ft to the sea floor, then supplied with 1300cfm @80psi compressed air. the result, a 'curtain' of bubbles around the pile that is supposed to insulate the underwater sounds of the pile hammer, or vibrator in this case.

you can see the holes drilled in the top of the ring, supplied air line, stand offs and chain to give the spacing down the pile

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's pretty random that you are making those, I watched a documentary (maybe?) years ago about that bubble curtain idea to keep from messing with Dolphins and whales hearing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
is that the gate on linear opener? thats huge, especially since it looks one piece. hard to get the stability as it opens if you have to keep the upper guide below the surrounding fence height. it will have to weight a ton when done i would think.

with automation, hooking it up is the easy part. convincing the customer to spend enough money on the hardware to get a quality unit the hard part. the viking r6 swing openers i've used on the last couple gates run $1500ish each, then goes up from there. i have found anything cheaper always has problems and call backs.
Single slider, It has a "third" rail on the back that will used to guide it off of a double 6"x6"-1/4" wall "H" frame and 2" ball bearing rollers.
He's been aware of the $$$ from the start and approves. The size, position of the gate and open direction are sort of critical to being able to use the amount of real estate available.

I hope to use the HySecurity SlideSmart HD30 and not have to move up to the SlideDriver model.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's pretty random that you are making those, I watched a documentary (maybe?) years ago about that bubble curtain idea to keep from messing with Dolphins and whales hearing.
yeah its all about the sea mammals around here. i've been out on a research boat while doing the underwater db testing and the results were all over the place. it mostly junk science.
hardly any piles are driven perfectly plumb, and the tidal, current, and weather conditions are never taken into account. so whats the point?

a bubble curtain may be useful but the tards in charge on the .gov end dont understand real world issues making them nothing but a joke. right now its just hoop for workers to jump through because it makes the permit writer feel useful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The horizontal feature did come in very handy.

i can see that now, it costs exactly $500 to get the horizontal/ vertical hindged base. and it comes with the foot peddle controls... in hind sight its worth every penny.

although in the end i think i'll be happier when i build a new mount base/cage thing for it. i'll incorporate some more material supports, die holders, keep it compact and forklift-able. as of right now i have a hard time believing the spiral stair attachment is worth the coin, so incorporating that in will make it worth it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
and it comes with the foot peddle controls.
Any power tool, in my opinion needs foot controls, slip roll, drill press, roll bender. Allows one to work alone and use both hands but quickly stop the process when needed. Everything takes trial and error and practice to become good at it.
Adjusting those vertical rollers will create some spiral!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts