Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
1.5" .120 wall DOM for the main structure. You can certainly get away with thinner wall HREW for bracing and supports though.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Your design is the most important aspect to look at as neither material will be worth squat if not well thought out. With that said, HREW will do the job just fine, save you quite a few bucks too. Built several for locals who dirt track race (oval) and a few have tested them out, no problems. Again though it's design that will save your butt more than anything.

·
Registered
637 Posts
hrew ,,UNLESS you do a lot of steep long uphill climbs That could put you end over end..me personally i looked into it and theres now way I could afford it..( i am the redo king)

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
HREW....and I agree that the design and mounting points are way more critical than materials.

-Dan

·
5,599 Posts
Realistically an XJ is not ideal for extreme stuff that needs a cage, And first cages usualy dont come out perfect. So by the time the HREW is beat youll want to chop it off and start over. If your already starting over fresh on a second cage and now know what you really want Id do DOM to make it last longer.

My HREW cage looks really beat, It dosent have much left in it after 4 years. No bad rolls like a big end over.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Personally, I would recommend DOM. Especially if you are sticking with 1.5" tubing and you have not built a cage before. I agree with above. A solid design is more critical After you spend all the time building the cage, painting it, etc- the difference in HREW vs. DOM cost should not be that big of a deal.

I run 1.75" .120 DOM in my Jeepspeed, which is much more likely to roll at speed- probably an over-kill for your application.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Realistically an XJ is not ideal for extreme stuff that needs a cage, And first cages usualy dont come out perfect. So by the time the HREW is beat youll want to chop it off and start over. If your already starting over fresh on a second cage and now know what you really want Id do DOM to make it last longer.

My HREW cage looks really beat, It dosent have much left in it after 4 years. No bad rolls like a big end over.
x2...

My Hrew cage is showing the dents from where it has been rashed, but its not bad enough that I want to fix it yet, and I already have a new design for like 50% of the cage in mind...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't forget that DOM has a seam just like HREW. The only difference is that a mandrel goes through the DOM and makes it more "true". Like others have said - design is more important that the difference between DOM and HREW.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
the stick of 1 1/4" sched 40 PIPE i have says ERW A53.... and its OD is 1 5/8". So i assume this is pipe since the sizes go by inner diameter??

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you use HREW try to bend with the seam to the inside.

I have a dumb question. where are you guys mounting to on a unibody? :confused: the sub frame? nowhere else seems strong enough to me....

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If you use HREW try to bend with the seam to the inside.

I have a dumb question. where are you guys mounting to on a unibody? :confused: the sub frame? nowhere else seems strong enough to me....
everywhere...

Mine is mounted to the rockers, the front bumper, the inner fender, the a-pillar, the b-pillar, the roof pinch seam, the c-pillar, the floor...

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
For an interior cage I'd use HREW and save the money. For an exo cage, or any outside cage, I'd use DOM. While the DOM makes a stronger cage, it isn't that important on an interior cage since it doesn't take much cage to give adequate strength to the roof and stucture that's already there. For an exo or other cage I'd defintely use DOM which is stronger and won't dent so easily. HREW cages get rock rash and dents pretty easily, so can look funky after a couple seasons, where a DOM cage won't dent as easily and can still look good after abuse.

The difference between HREW and DOM is the work hardening that happends when it's drawn over the mandrel, making the tubing tougher and stronger. My XJ cage is HREW, but my buggy cage is DOM. In fact all the outside tubes on the buggy are .188 wall to further insure that it doesn't get dented up after a few seasons.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts