Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Zuk go over (pretty lightly) at a competition yesterday and the cage punched thru the wheelwell. I am thinking about mounting mine at the point where the targa bar sat. That area is boxed (unlike the tub) so it should be reasonably strong to vertical force. I want to run a bar across from one side to the other behind the seat to give it some lateral support. I will run my rear tube in a X fashion to also increase lateral support of the main hoop.

Problems include seat interference with cross bar and insufficient space for spare wheel.

Any thoughts, concerns or recommendations....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
In stock form they are already mounted to the boxed structure. yes it is a strong point, depending on what you plan to do you can always run a stringer from the frame and tie into the main hoop.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I ran my first cage off the stock main hoop location, rear down bars to the frame, and the front hoop to the body. The cage took atleast 10 really hard rolls that I can remember with out any problems, one of the rolls was even on the street. I used a combo...:)

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
If not mounted directly to the frame. You need to use a bearing plate to transfer the load over a larger area, and preferably spreading the load over top of the frame rail.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to mount the cage exclusively to the body. Hell that's where my seat is mounted. I'll be spreding the load with 11 mounting points and big ass plates.

If the body seperates from the chassis (OH SH1T) at least the cage stays with me :)

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Uphiir said:
I've decided to mount the cage exclusively to the body. Hell that's where my seat is mounted. I'll be spreding the load with 11 mounting points and big ass plates.

If the body seperates from the chassis (OH SH1T) at least the cage stays with me :)

Don't forget to make the plates beneath the body a different shape/larger than the plates welded to the feet of the cage down tubes, and round the points off the corners.

I *believe* this can help prevent, or at least mitigate "punch through" at the base plate body attachment points.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
UZI 9mm said:

Don't forget to make the plates beneath the body a different shape/larger than the plates welded to the feet of the cage down tubes, and round the points off the corners.

I *believe* this can help prevent, or at least mitigate "punch through" at the base plate body attachment points.
To expand on this a bit furthur. Radius the coners with AT LEAST 1/2" radius' less than that will still promote tearing of the sheetmetal. This is that standard radius for a backing plate in the auto industry(where I work) we do use smaller radius sizes, but not for anything that can be pulled thru, like seat belt anchors and such. Idealy you would also run a lip around the edge as well, making a dish shape .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts