Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should the fairlead be in even with the bottom of the winch or should the bottom roller be inline with the spool? Maybe an inch lower than the winch mounting plate? need help. we all need help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I usually mount it on the side of the spool which the rope is fed in on, find the diference between the height of the full spool and the empty and put it at the midpoint. This will provide you with a path of least resistance throughout the duration of your pull.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
<font color="yellow">
My fairlead is mounted so that the bottom of the TOP roller is at the same height as the bottom of the winch drum. Unless I'm on the first layer of cable, it rubs against the bottom roller as it's pulled.

This way when you have time to position yourself and are pulling something heavy you're in the right spot. You want to pull off the bottom layer of cable whenever possible - the winch has less leverage on the cable as you feed more on - because the next layer is further from the center of the drum than the previous one. So now when you're pulling something so heavy that you need all the force you can get, you aren't rubbing against the fairlead at all. This is how I have mine mounted, and I have yanked a 4Door Chevy 1-Ton diesel dually out with my Superwinch X9 using a snatch block on the first layer of cable.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters - the averaging the two together idea sounds like a good one, really. Just make sure you've got it mounted on center left-to-right so that the cable won't rub the sides of the winch spool before the side roller of the fairlead.</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts