Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting roller rocker arms in my targetmaster 350 engine. Does anyone know what needs to be done to the heads before I do this. I will be installing ARP screw in rocker studs. I have heard that the casting on the head that the press in factory studs press into has to be machined down to compensate for the added pushrod guide plate thickness and the bolt head thickness of the screw in stud. Is there a know amount that needs to be removed? I will be running 1.6:1 comp cams pro magnum full roller rockers.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
if you take it to a head shop they will know what to do......
i have run roller rockers with standard pushrods with no guidplates...

unless you have a big cam then you start running into clearance problens with the angle of the pushrod and head..

if you get guideplates make sure to get hardened pushrods otherwise the guide will just rub the pushrod into nothing..also get the correct length pushrods..more problems

if you are going to machine your heads yourself i just kept the bottom of the threads the same..press in studs and screw in studs ....then took off casting material until they sat correct....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Here is a cheap fix:
Jegs has a tool that fits in the existing pushrod slot. It has an offset 5/16" hole that you put a regular drillbit in and drill out the slot so you can run the 1.6 rockers and you don't need a guideplate.

You don't really need screw-in studs either unless you are running high pressure valve springs.

Oh yeh. the tool is like $32.99

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Reddwarf ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts