Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 612 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 20 years of wheeling, modifying, and beating the heck out of my 53 CJ5 I am finally taking the plunge and building a buggy. With a kid already here and more in the future a 4 seater was the only option. The plan is to have a comfortable buggy that I can take the family out on the trail in so they can enjoy growing up in the great outdoors just like I did when my dad started taking me to the Rubicon when I was 2. I am also planning on dabbling in racing a bit, starting with running the sportsman class for NorCal Rock Racing. Will see where it goes from there :D

Specs for the new rig

LS1
Th350
Atlas 4 spd
Dana 60
14 Bolt
Fox 2.0 Coilovers
39 BFG Reds

Bye bye to Herbie. We have been friends for a long time....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part of the fun for me is that I am working with a falling down, detached one car garage. Space is at a premium! :laughing:

Makes for some interesting maneuvering to get around, but you have got to make due with what you've got

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily I have some good help :)

The chassis has gone together amazingly easily. The complex notches fit together so well and its like putting together a big erector set. Place a tube, tack, move to the next. Goes super fast

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
cool. I love watching garage built rigs. did you buy the whole kit with links,trusses and floors? or just the chassis?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. I love watching garage built rigs. did you buy the whole kit with links,trusses and floors? or just the chassis?
I got the whole kit minus the links & trusses. No way am I going to attempt cutting off the trusses that are on the axles with a 4" grinder :laughing:

I am re-using absolutely as much as possible from my old rig. Trying to do this as budget friendly as possible.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
if you plan on racing ... sell the 2.0s and get 2.5s and an air bump

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
here i was thinking you were making progress really really fast, and then realized it was the IBEX chassis :D

Looks good so far, I really like these chassis and options.

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
have you used my chain in the build yet? haha looks good. Whats happening to the other buggy

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I really like the build crew on this one. Great to be able to spend time with your dad and your boy. Even if he is too young to remember you will always remember it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have you used my chain in the build yet? haha looks good. Whats happening to the other buggy
Going to sell off what is left of it. Will be sad to see it go, but hopefully someone will use it :)

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the build crew on this one. Great to be able to spend time with your dad and your boy. Even if he is too young to remember you will always remember it. :)
Absolutely! Is really nice to be able to do this with my dad. Get to spend lots of time arguing with each other. :laughing:

Good times and good memories

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the chassis full welded. Link mounts, skid plate, engine mount done.

One last trip in the old rig this weekend and its time to start tearing it down :D

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Right on, I'd love to see it in person, and climb into the back seat. I have thought about junking my k5 buggy and building that chassis.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right on, I'd love to see it in person, and climb into the back seat. I have thought about junking my k5 buggy and building that chassis.
This post will probably get buried in this thread and I will forget about it... Just hit me up when/if you want to come check it out. I will be out working on it pretty much every Sunday for the foreseeable future :smokin:

1 - 20 of 612 Posts