Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue to gather info towards my build, one of the things I'll need to address on the M1009 is air conditioning. Plumbing in an in-dash AC is almost certainly going to be a pain, and I'm planning on ripping out the stock dash anyway, and building a folded-sheetmetal one. I also don't want to add any more belt-driven crap than I need.

I'd like to see if I can install a fully self-contained, 12V DC electric compressor air conditioning unit. The M1009 already has 2 alternators, so I'll have plenty of power available, and a self-contained unit like that means all I need is to run wire, instead of gas plumbing. The footprint should be small enough to fit on the sheetmetal portion of the Blazer cab, and preferably vent directly into the cab from the ceiling rather than having a split configuration with the blower unit being floor-mounted.

I'll have a nice, thick metal housing put on it, and I'm not particularly worried about clearance since I'll have a hefty roof rack up there too. This rig isn't going to be used for hard-core wheeling, just trail rides and fun, so I feel safe in installing things that I might otherwise worry about ripping off.

So, anyone know where I might be able to find something like this? I've seen rooftop units intended for tractors and other small-footprint applications, but I can't find a source inside the US (the only product I found that small is from Spain). Most of the US stuff I found is intended for RVs, and those units are way too long, and much larger capacity than I need anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Yes, Red Dot is on the potential list. Only problem is their stuff, at least the ones I've seen on their site, look to be just a tad too big.
The page I linked too in my last post has several different manufacturers on it. Kysor has some smaller units.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
All the ones I found are 120v, heavy and around $1000. Home depot sell portable units for around 300, made to sit on a floor. I don't think they would take all the bouncing around though. 12v models are crazy expensive. There is new stuff comming out for semi trucks. We have laws here in ca that they can't idle there trucks anymore. But still most of those are 120v

1 - 5 of 5 Posts