Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a leak and need to hire it out to get fixed. Roof is concrete tile replaced 2001
Leak is in the valley in the front of the house near where the red X is.

Got a couple roofing companies out to look and give estimates. One company wants to do about 10 feet up from the bottom and the other wants to do the whole valley top to bottom. Had the get the valley in the back done about 4 years ago for reference.

Knowing nothing of roofing, should I get the whole valley done or just the part they say is leaking fixed. Haven’t got the quotes in yet to compare $$$.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the whole thing done at the same time. Its not worth taking a chance of it leaking again (it will) and having to pay somebody twice as much as it would cost to do the whole thing now.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I know nothing about concrete roofs but you have already had to repair a similar section elsewhere. I'd do the whole valley. Water is insidious and will find a way if the repair is cobbled in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The tear off isnt that much more to do the rest of the valley, that should be obvious to roofing contractor. Also any and all damage should be removed, they could get half way up and realize theres more to take care of. In my experience theres almost more damage than you could ser once you tear off. If it was a damage comp shingle in the field id be more inclined to just pull the shingles over the area of damage and patch sheathing if necessary and with the correct color shingle.

The valley is where water gathers and drains... obviously. Much better off with one long new piece of mateial for the valley. Never done concrete or slate etc type roofs but i imagine similar to most steep roofs that a contractor shouldn't have any problem getting the sheetmetal made for the valley one run.

Hopefully you can get a good match on color or have leftovers from the previous jobs.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i would be pissed. less then 20 out of concrete roof???.....fuk that!!!.

do you know the fastening style and substrate system? lay on/silicone or pins too?

are the valley pans regular "w" or custom..like copper?

i assume its for fireproof roof and possibly regulation...

i was using 36 wide 22 mil copper i broke myself for valleys. not cheap. and over vycor/graco grace for substrate on decking/supins in valleys. this was in places where it was advised against using the product due to snow load though.

shit will always build up in valleys. look and make sure they used the right "w" metal in the valley when they pull it open. if its 8 inch that tends to not be enough even if layed in bull or something...12 in..or 24 wide is the preferred. though it may be different out there.

definitely do the whole thing. probably a few grand too....ugh....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was less than happy to have that short a life out of a roof before having issues. It has been through a dozen or so hurricanes in that time so who knows.

I was thinking get the whole valley done and from the replies here it looks like that’s what it needs. I’ll call back the first place and have them adjust their bid for the full 24’ instead of the 10’ they currently have marked.

I do have 8-10 spare tiles from when it got put up. Concrete requirement is for the HOA, only tile roof or the metal tile roof that look like concrete.
Snow load isn’t much of an issue as it hasn’t snowed here in my lifetime.

Here is a shot from the attic showing the wet plywood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts