Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where I can find a roof top tent for the fj40. I cant seem to find anything. I would prefer to buy in the US

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
www.mudrak.com can get the Hannibal tent.

www.loftyshelters.com is a distributor for the Maggiolina line.

Personally, I would stick to the three South African-made tents, Hannibal, EEZI-AWN and ECHO, they're by far the best quality ones. Not that Maggiolina is bad, I just think the South African ones are more rugged, better value for the money.

There might be a US distributor for BROWNCHURCH, which is a British brand that has an excellent reputation; someone in the Land Rover section might have more information on that.

There are dozens of brands in Australia but I don't know of a US distributor for any of them.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
$1,200 is a pretty good deal in the US (not cheap, but still a decent deal for a great option), that's a lot cheaper than some of the other tents. Technitop is a great tent, I forgot to mention that one above.

Caveat: these tents are HEAVY, I was going to mount mine on the roof rack until I actually got it and realized how heavy it was. I had it on top from Moab to Phoenix and by the time I got home, I'd changed my plans and decided to mount it on the trailer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I looked at several of these tents and for a family of 4 most are too small in my opinion. I did however like the Howling moon double which is 2.4m x 2.44m (the 2nd one pictured). I'd be putting it on a wagon though not a 40.

Not cheap though, I got a quote of $1990 delivered.

·
Registered
199 Posts
These tents look cool , but how hard are they on the rain gutters of a 60 series?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
MVANDYKE said:
These tents look cool , but how hard are they on the rain gutters of a 60 series?
They're not, the rain gutters of a 60 series can take a lot of weight, as long as it's properly distributed and the mounting system (rack or bars) is well designed.

To give you an idea, I've carried 300 kilograms of gear on a roof rack for three weeks and 2,600 miles (all offroad) on an FJ60 with no detrimental effect.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thats a lot of money for a tent. does that come with a roof rack that can be used for other things or something?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That's actually pretty decent, the average price is about $1,500 for a roof top tent, give or take.

That excludes the MARES tent like I have, which is a lot cheaper but also unobtanium; I've been trying to make a wholesale buy on them for 6 months and I'm getting ready to give up.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Watch out with Hannibal, they are expensive with a capitol expensive.;) The US distributor, I forget his name, is a really nice guy and so is his salesman. Their head mechanic is an English and he is an a$$. The Hannibal stuff is really well designed and executed, but did I mention expensive???:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Sloan said:
Watch out with Hannibal, they are expensive with a capitol expensive.;) ...
The Hannibal tents are MSRP'd at $1295 for the standard 48"x96" tent and $1495 for the delux 56"x96" tent...

Doesnt sound too expensive to me considering the others...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the Hannibal and absolutely hate it so far. Their customer service SUCKS - both their salesman the pres of hannibalusa. Hey, that's just my opinion though - maybe Sloan knows something I don't.:flipoff2:

Was gonna mount it on the roof, till I saw a pic of Henry's trailer, then decided to do something similiar. Not paying royalties though Henry :flipoff2: :D

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I sell them

I am a dealer for lofty shelters and the tents they make are sweet. I no someone was saying that the African ones are better but I would have to ask him if he has ever owned a Lofty Shelter. They are made in Italy and are very nice. The best part is they are in California and relitily easy to get, depending on the model. They make several different ones with a variety of price ranges. These are shipped all over the world and yes even to Africa. In fact it has been hard to get them on the west cost lately but we can get them shipped over from the east cost if need be. If you need a rack to put them onto we can set you up with that as well.

www.sportsrack.com

PM me if you are interested. I'll get you in contact with the main man as I don't normally handle the tents.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: I sell them

shaka 55 said:
I am a dealer for lofty shelters ..
Any website? I searched your site and found nothing but p/u bed tents. Thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Re: I sell them

I said it. I didn't say they were bad, I just said I preferred the Hannibal, Echo and Eezi-awn over the Maggiolinas. Maggiolinas have been available for a LONG time, I had the chance to use one for extended periods of time in Venezuela. Worked fine, too.

shaka 55 said:
I am a dealer for lofty shelters and the tents they make are sweet. I no someone was saying that the African ones are better but I would have to ask him if he has ever owned a Lofty Shelter. They are made in Italy and are very nice. The best part is they are in California and relitily easy to get, depending on the model. They make several different ones with a variety of price ranges. These are shipped all over the world and yes even to Africa. In fact it has been hard to get them on the west cost lately but we can get them shipped over from the east cost if need be. If you need a rack to put them onto we can set you up with that as well.

www.sportsrack.com

PM me if you are interested. I'll get you in contact with the main man as I don't normally handle the tents.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I commented on the Hannibals if you get the rack and the tent.:eek: :D I have been down to Hannibal USA and if you don't have to deal with the service guy, everyone else there is super nice. They are mainly a Land Rover shop, but they do carry parts for the Landcruisers (not many). I haven't been in one of their tents but I have used the Maggiol-thingy tents. They're pretty sweet, the best part being that you can pack your clothes in there and when you close it up the bed is already made. All you do is pop that sucker open and lay down, get up in the morning and close it up, simplicity at its finest (have I earned a discount yet?:D ). The Maggi-I can't spell it also comes in like 12 sizes with 3 or 4 different model levels as I recall. It is however not as compact as some of the other roof top tents.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Which size did you get and what did you end up paying? shipping?
Kurt - don't know what size it was, but it's just enough room for me and the inflatable love doll.:flipoff2: (which when deflated, can stay in there when packed).:flipoff2:

Don't remember how much, cause it was part of a package deal on a rack, tent & awning. Their QA sucks big time though. They sent me an awning and rack that didn't fit together. The wrong ladder for the tent, the awning that was sent was ripped ...... it took like close to 9 months to get it straight.

All they care to be concerned with is the point of sale!

A huge :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: to the dickweeds.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts