Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 993 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured I may as well start a build thread. At least it'll cut down on all my stupid question threads and keep them all in one place. So, as some of you know, I bought a pair of 1951 F1s and a Dodge M300 motorhome chassis (GVWR 10k-14k). The plan has evolved from just being a fun daily driver to putting a 10' flat bed on it to make it a crawler hauler that can still tow an RV in the future. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how much to stretch the frame. I'm currently thinking a 147" WB which gives me about a 60/40 split with the rear axle closer to the rear of the bed.

This is the truck as it sits now. I've put a lot of time into getting the door latches and window regulators working. Unfortunately I'll have to go with one piece windows since no one makes repop vent frames. I'm just excited to have the doors hung and working. I need to brace the cab now so I can remake the floor.

Plan is a '91 12v cummins, converting to manual with a getrag I picked up and making it as simple/plain/reliable as I can. Anyway, on to the pics. First pic is of the truck as I got it. From there on it's on the M300 chassis.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a more fun note, I've had this harrison heater floating around the shop for years. I decided to throw some juice to the motor and see if it worked and I'll be damned if it did. So guess I'll be rocking this vintage aftermarket heater in this thing. The second pic is just what I kind of hope to achieve. I'll be clear coating the body so I'm not going for a show truck or anything.

Now, on to the dumb questions, I'm torn between making the flatbed a metal deck like everything else or keeping with the vintage theme and going with a wood deck similar to my car hauler. Which would be lighter, better or the proper choice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In trying to figure my frame stretch I've been hunting a ratio of amount of bed in front of the rear axle and amount behind. It seems it varies by bed length based on the attached pic. So if I just picked a 60/40 ratio (majority in front of the axle) would I be retarded?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ayup.

That thing looks bad ass already.
Thanks, I haven't really done anything of real value yet. Cab and front clip are just precariously balanced on the frame. All my work has been on the guts of the doors. And I'll be damned if I didn't end up with a truck with a bunch of hard to find shit. Like the vent windows. Shit, just the wiper linkages and motor are $400. Which kills the whole low budget build idea I was shooting for.

But, as it sits right now I've got nothing invested in the frame/axles, $500 for the rims and tires, $800 for the 1.5 trucks I got and I sold the original frame for $200. I've got the original bed on craigslist now but no real hits. If no one buys it, I'll make it part of our outdoor kitchen. :D

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's going on with the duct tape back window first gen rig? Is that the cummins donor for this?

EDIT: Love the proportions of it on the M300 chassis as is. Tough look!
Yup. Picked it up for $1k. It's the cummins and auto. I was gonna stick with the auto till I realized the motorhome chassis has 4.56 gears. That would be a slow drive. I got lucky and found a first Gen 5 speed with pedals, master/slave and bellhousing for $225. Couldn't pass it up so it'll be a manual now.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Pick whatever you want it to be. There's no set rule it has to be a certain number or percentage. Shit I'd lob mine off right behind the spring hanger if my fuel tank wasnt back there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yup. Picked it up for $1k. It's the cummins and auto. I was gonna stick with the auto till I realized the motorhome chassis has 4.56 gears. That would be a slow drive. I got lucky and found a first Gen 5 speed with pedals, master/slave and bellhousing for $225. Couldn't pass it up so it'll be a manual now.
Awesome. Look forward to seeing this one come together! My vote would be for a wood bed. Just seems like it'd fit the vibe all the better.

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pick whatever you want it to be. There's no set rule it has to be a certain number or percentage. Shit I'd lob mine off right behind the spring hanger if my fuel tank wasnt back there.
It's already lopped off behind the hanger. I thought about just putting the existing rear of the frame as the bed end but that would put the WB a tad longer than my megacab dually....which I don't want. If I go with the numbers I have I'll only be stretching the frame 15" behind the axle which is easily re-enforcable for towing. I'll have a 21" stretch in front of the axle. But as usual, nothing is written in stone and I will build/design it as I go. Funds, parts and ever changing moods will direct this build. :D

Took this pic today getting ready for megarun in March. This is the Jeep I'm building the truck to haul as well as serve daily driver duty. I have a thing for old iron.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't make the bed overly wide either. Hell Id only make it as wide as the cab and skirt it and cover the excess tire with a fender.
Has to be wide enough to fit the Jeep. When are you gonna come visit?

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hot rod guys are dumping the vent window and having glass cut to fit the whole opening for a cleaner look
That's the one piece window conversion I'm talking about. I live in the middle of nowhere so the chances of me finding some rat-rodder looking to off load some vent windows is slim and none. So one piece it is for me. Dammit.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Same. If you find some around SA or Austin, let me know and I can grab them and ship them to ya

Edit: No idea when I can get that way...but tell me about megarun and do you have an empty passemger seat?

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,590 Posts
Your second dimentions pic from fordification is of a F-350 SCS, which I have.

This is 140" of WB:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,633 Posts
1 - 20 of 993 Posts