Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another thread:

No matter how much you try to explain this to people they still want to go with Rough Country.:shaking:
Is Rough Country really that bad? I'm looking at a 4" kit on my YJ and for $450 I can't really see not buying it. My Jeep is my DD and I do maybe one or two trips a month. Some class six roads. Some spotting required. Nothing too major. People tell me its a "Rough" ride. Well, it is a Jeep. There's a 4x4 shop about 40 minutes from me and he sells the kits. I figure for a good price I can get some clearance and use the rest of the funds for an SYE and an 8.8 in the future.

I'm a single homeowner and for now am looking for something affordable. I can't do Rubicon Express because I'm in NH and shipping is flat out stupid. I figure buying locally I gain a friend to wheel with and with any problems I can talk to him face to face as opposed to hitting 1 for English.

All in all, should I avoid Rough Country? Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less.Ball's in your court....

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less.Ball's in your court....
Well, they're not made out of balsa wood are they? Just don't want to climb over my first rock with them and end up with a bent leaf.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For what you want it may be fine, but will not perform as well as higher-end stuff. Would really suck to spend the money now, then have an epiphany later and see that you should have bought a higher-end product. That's what I meant by the ball in your court comment. YOU are deciding.

·
Registered
198 Posts
:beer:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Rough Country sucks ass. Make sure you call your chiropractor in advance. And make sure you are ok with near stock rigs being more comfortable to ride and perform better suspension wise offroad hell and on road for that matter.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Black Sheep nailed it.

Rough Country is a "show off" lift. And thats it. No flex ends, stiff springs, cheap material. You gain clearance and nothing else. Except some body aches prolly. If you wanna rip around the mall, do it....if you wanna wheel, look somewhere else.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's like all of you guys are describing the YJ stuff and oldschool TJ shit. Their new stuff is 10x better. The only RC products I have are the 2.5" progressive springs and 2.2 shocks and they do great. The coils are long as hell (about the same length as RE and Procomp 4" spring), it rides nice, and doesn't break the bank. The ride is nicer than my old RE monos. I wasn't about ready to spend more than $300 on a stinkin set of 2.5" springs and shocks so they fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
It's like all of you guys are describing the YJ stuff and oldschool TJ shit. Their new stuff is 10x better. The only RC products I have are the 2.5" progressive springs and 2.2 shocks and they do great. The coils are long as hell (about the same length as RE and Procomp 4" spring), it rides nice, and doesn't break the bank. The ride is nicer than my old RE monos. I wasn't about ready to spend more than $300 on a stinkin set of 2.5" springs and shocks so they fit the bill nicely.

Hey whatever you gotta keep telling yourself man. Those in the know don't use them for a reason.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For a YJ, what clearance is necessary for what tire size? You plan to upgrade the rear axle with an 8.8 in the future. There are small things you can do to gain clearance for slightly larger tires now, swap in the 8.8 and go from there. If you go slightly larger in tire size now (dd for the next couple years), add TJ flares and 1.25" body lift and go. Upgrade recovery areas - winch, bumpers. Add skid plates on rockers. This should easily clear 31s. Add front sway bar disconnects, remove track bars, add longer travel shocks, and longer bump stops. Drive this way till you figure out your wheeling lows. This combination also maintains streetability of the Jeep. 31's should be good for the 6cyl and stock gearing. If you go bigger in tires, you may need to swap in deeper ratio axles.

If you can, locate a 4cyl YJ for the 4.10 front axle. Locate an 8.8 with the same ratio (search car-part.com for local auto yards). Swap them in. Add an axle quick-disconnect eliminator kit (or atleast upgrade to a cable actuator rather than the vacuum). With the small body lift, it makes room for the MML. Many lift kits provide a crossmember drop so it drops the back end of the driveline. MML lifts the front of the driveline. Either drop the rear or lift the front. What the body lift also provides is the capability for lifting both the front and rear of the driveline providing the space for a flatter belly plate (more clearance). But it may not be necessary for your Jeep at this time. In time, you may also want to swap in the late model YJ 'bigger' axles (they use the 297 ujoints rather than the 260s).

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For a YJ, what clearance is necessary for what tire size? You plan to upgrade the rear axle with an 8.8 in the future. There are small things you can do to gain clearance for slightly larger tires now, swap in the 8.8 and go from there. If you go slightly larger in tire size now (dd for the next couple years), add TJ flares and 1.25" body lift and go. Upgrade recovery areas - winch, bumpers. Add skid plates on rockers. This should easily clear 31s. Add front sway bar disconnects, remove track bars, add longer travel shocks, and longer bump stops. Drive this way till you figure out your wheeling lows. This combination also maintains streetability of the Jeep. 31's should be good for the 6cyl and stock gearing. If you go bigger in tires, you may need to swap in deeper ratio axles.

If you can, locate a 4cyl YJ for the 4.10 front axle. Locate an 8.8 with the same ratio (search car-part.com for local auto yards). Swap them in. Add an axle quick-disconnect eliminator kit (or atleast upgrade to a cable actuator rather than the vacuum). With the small body lift, it makes room for the MML. Many lift kits provide a crossmember drop so it drops the back end of the driveline. MML lifts the front of the driveline. Either drop the rear or lift the front. What the body lift also provides is the capability for lifting both the front and rear of the driveline providing the space for a flatter belly plate (more clearance). But it may not be necessary for your Jeep at this time. In time, you may also want to swap in the late model YJ 'bigger' axles (they use the 297 ujoints rather than the 260s).

Good luck.
Eh, I'm kind of already there. The main reason I'm looking for a lift is that my 2.5" springs are shot to shit. They're 8 years old. I have wicked bad axle wrap. I started off looking at 2.5" RE springs. But living in NH, it was $200+ in shipping. So I called the local shop and to get just four springs was more expensive than an entire kit. Local guy has the 2.5" and the 4" kit for $450. I figure plan ahead and go for the 4". As for future mods, NV3550, NP231 w/ SYE, 8.8, TJ flares, shackle reversal, and 33 TSLs are in the plans.

I've already swapped the rear gears with 4.10s and got a HP Dana 30 from a 4 banger. I just really need to replace my springs. Money is wicked tight so RC looked like the right place to look. I'm about two years in my career as a town employee and 20 or so people planning retirement in the near future, promotion looks good. Until I start making some more pay I'm going to have to build conservatively. I'm sure by the time I can afford to eat something else besides oatmeal and hotdogs, it will be time to replace the springs anyways. =P

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd consider myself in the know.....I've been using them for 20,000 miles of DD/trails. I'm no hardcore RC supporter or anything but I think they deserve a little credit. Their new TJ stuff is pretty damn nice. And considering I can't unload the springs with a suspension fully composed of JJ's, I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
My friend (who just passed away, god rest his soul) bought a set Rough Country springs, he re-allocated them to......his tow Jeep. Because they were so fawking stiff. I rode and drove it a few times, they completly sucked ass, even loaded down. Once again, they are cheap for a reason. Some people just haven't played with enough suspensions to know the difference.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My friend (who just passed away, god rest his soul) bought a set Rough Country springs, he re-allocated them to......his tow Jeep. Because they were so fawking stiff. Once again, they are cheap for a reason.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Are we talking about the same springs? Their old shit sucked huge balls, I'll totally agree with you there. I've ridden in many jeeps and mine rides better than any of them I can remember....I've messed with plenty of suspension setups--TNT, AEV, RE, custom. Mine is very tight, soaks up potholes like they're nothing, and controlled. Hell, even my fawkin grandma commented on it riding nicer than she expected. The grandma scale doesn't lie. I know I don't have many posts on here but this isn't my first rodeo. I know the difference between a shit ride and a good one on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I just bought four 2.5" yj bds springs with bushings for $95 each.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There's a thread on another forum with the rc guy stroking everyones ego to sell stuff, so everybody says how great they are. But if you look at some of the pics and how high the rigs sit with each tire, the lift just isn't there. When questioned about it rc says it depends on what you have for accessories, cargo, etc. Go with a quality company so you really get what you pay for. If you go by the stock specs then measure what you have after the lift, only the quality companies are there. I replaced a set of RE 4" springs with a set of BDS 5" cause I needed an inch more lift. Guess what, the difference was exactly an inch when installed. RC=real crap

JM93LiftedYJ there is a bds dealer in townsend ma that stocks most of their stuff. Don't know how close you are to ma, but might be worth the trip to save shipping.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There's a thread on another forum with the rc guy stroking everyones ego to sell stuff, so everybody says how great they are. But if you look at some of the pics and how high the rigs sit with each tire, the lift just isn't there. When questioned about it rc says it depends on what you have for accessories, cargo, etc. Go with a quality company so you really get what you pay for. If you go by the stock specs then measure what you have after the lift, only the quality companies are there. I replaced a set of RE 4" springs with a set of BDS 5" cause I needed an inch more lift. Guess what, the difference was exactly an inch when installed. RC=real crap

JM93LiftedYJ there is a bds dealer in townsend ma that stocks most of their stuff. Don't know how close you are to ma, but might be worth the trip to save shipping.
I've seen that too. I have a TJ. My springs gave me exactly 2.5" of lift over stock front and rear. I run 35's with room to spare. 4.5" of up travel on all 4 ends.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts