Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Rubicon Unlimited. I put a Rough Trail heavy duty steering upgrade kit in it today. It looks like the tie rod is making slight contract will the diff cover. Also the drag link end is hitting the sway disconnect. WTF I could grind the sway disconnect, should work no big deal but the the hell. I THINK the kit can go on one way.Any help?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,549 Posts
Pics? Not familiar with that brand. Pretty common for the drag link tre to get into the swaybar bracket/bushing. Somebody used to make raised mounts for that.

Edit: what diff and cover?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's Crowns heavy duty kit. I literally put one on this afternoon. For the record this kit is just V8 ZJ steering. Still cost effective compared to buying it all at NAPA and an upgrade from stock though.

Snap a picture. Did you install the tierod on the frontside or backside of the draglink?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So to be clear: This kit is the same thing as V8 ZJ, so you can look at a picture of that for reference. The drag link has the sleeve up at the pitman arm and the tierod has it's sleeve at the drivers side tire. The nut of the drag link/ tierod connection should be facing the front of the jeep.

Maybe you put the tierod on backwards and the bend meant to avoid the Diff cover now makes contact?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to be clear: This kit is the same thing as V8 ZJ, so you can look at a picture of that for reference. The drag link has the sleeve up at the pitman arm and the tierod has it's sleeve at the drivers side tire. The nut of the drag link/ tierod connection should be facing the front of the jeep.

Maybe you put the tierod on backwards and the bend meant to avoid the Diff cover now makes contact?
Yeap same you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As a double check I just went and looked at mine. Mine comes close to touching the swaybar bracket at full right bump, but never does as far as I can tell. The Tierod never even comes close to hitting the diff in either direction.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
maybe on the diff cover, but the TJ/LJ Rubi 44 is pretty much a D30 with a 44 center section. The knuckles are the same and I'm pretty sure the brackets are too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Somebody used to make raised mounts for that.
Blaine sells some swaybar link brackets here (BlackMagicBrakes.com) that work nicely.

OP, as to diff cover interference very common with aftermarket covers. If you go to JF there is a 100+ page thread talking about it. Short answer is that a lot of the big covers are a problem. Personally I like the Barnett style cover (stock with armor added to bottom half only) to minimize this risk.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock diff cover. It barely hit the cover. I painted the cover,no scratch. When you cycle the suspension I figure the steering will never change? I'm going to Moab an the 11th hopefully everything is work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stock diff cover. It barely hit the cover. I painted the cover,no scratch. When you cycle the suspension I figure the steering will never change? I'm going to Moab an the 11th hopefully everything is work.
the steering hits the diff cover? or the track bar hits the diff cover?

nothing should hit the diff cover....except maybe a rock if you drive into it.

I run the V8 ZJ tie-rod, and it's plenty far away from the diff cover.

again, what control arms do you have, and what are the lengths? post some pics....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the steering hits the diff cover? or the track bar hits the diff cover?

nothing should hit the diff cover....except maybe a rock if you drive into it.

I run the V8 ZJ tie-rod, and it's plenty far away from the diff cover.

again, what control arms do you have, and what are the lengths? post some pics....
The tie rod is hitting the diff cover. It's a rough country lift 4" x-series short arm. I used rough country measurement for the upper and lower arms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts