Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure its not 4x4 related, but I need a router. Something sub $200ish preferably. It will only see light use as a homeowner doing a ton of remodeling. Would like a dedicated plunge or one with both bases. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
There were several Ridgids in the power tool clearance section of my HD.

That's all I know.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Now, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I found a router table was more versatile around the house while doing a remodel... I scored a Vermont American Table from my local Ace Hardware for $15.00, and I mounted my fixed base Craftsman(probably 8 or so years old) router to it. This was probably going on 5 years ago.

I only just pulled the router off yesterday because the depth adjusting collar was jammed full of sawdust. :laughing::shaking:

I'd prefer a router with a 1/2" collet. I know there is a good selection of bits with a 1/4" shank, but 1/2" allows you to get into larger bits for tasks such as moulding cutting when paired with a table.

Bits are where the real expense comes in. :eek: Clearance will be your friend.
3 pc P-C Cove bit set 1/4"-1/2" at Rockler, 14.99: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30012

I prefer a fixed base. No rhyme or reason, it's just my personal preference.
As for what I'd recommend, here is one... an old stand-by of sorts.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77344-70-9690LR_4294857535_4294937087_?productId=1209535&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Corded+Routers_4294857535_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

Edit: I noticed that you want either a Plunge or Combo kit- http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK-12-AMP-Variable-Collets/dp/B00006JKXE/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1294554096&sr=1-1

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The value of a router table can not be underestimated. If you have a table saw withan extension table get one of the plastic inserts and cut a hole in your extension table for the router. For decades Porter Cable has been the standard for routers and most popular out in shops and in the field. I recently bought a Bosch laminate trimmer and will be looking a lot more at Bosch for future purchases. Whatever you do, do not buy a router with just a plunge base, they are a PITA unless you actually need the plunge which is very seldom

·
Registered
949 Posts
One of my friends is a cabinet maker. He swears the only consumer grade tools worth a damn are porter cable. I'm very happy with mine.

I'll add another vote for the router table. I rarely free hand anything anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of my friends is a cabinet maker. He swears the only consumer grade tools worth a damn are porter cable. I'm very happy with mine.

I'll add another vote for the router table. I rarely free hand anything anymore.
I've been running my own cabinet shop for 10 years now. The only routers I use(except for the Bosch trimmer:)) are Porter Cable. The 690 motor is a perfect set up for the homeowner. I have a few that also go into the field and they take abuse well.(Not workers abusing, just being used hard for long periods of time)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ive got this one from craftsman
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917543000P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1294582254906

I actually really like it, I have never been a fan of craftsman power tools but this thing is pretty nice. It is soft start, has variable speed, plunge and fixed bases, and has worklights, which sounds pretty cheasy, but is awesome.

I was thinking about that one. I've seen good reviews on it elsewhere, I need to go in and play with it. I fondled a Rigid at HD and the plunge seemed really rough and crude. (looking back at HD's site it may have been a Ryobi)

Thanks for the input everyone!

Edit: Now how stupid would it be to get a really cheap one like this?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_37767-11241-1314_4294857537_4294937087_?productId=3265503&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Routers+_4294857537_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|1

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I will say that a laminate trimmer (mini router) comes in really handy for almost everything I do in remodeling.... Doing trim, face frames, laminate work - its small, easy to setup and I only ever use 3 bits in it (roundover, bevel and trimmer) I hardly ever pull out my bigger routers for remodel stuff.

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
As the owner of a wood working manufacturing plant I can tell you that portercable is the only way to go. We use dewalt for their cordless drills as they hold up the best but portercable for their routers all the way. They are the only thing that has held up time and time again. I think we have around 9 of them right now. There was a post of a 10 yr vet above this that posted the same thing. Funny how the people that do the same thing day in and day out will agree on the same tools. That should tell you something. We use dewalt for 5" palm sanders and for our chop saws. Porter Cable for their 24" belt sanders, Porter cable for their trim router, standard routers and plunge routers. The average person has no need for a plunge router. Craftsman wood tools I put on the same page as black and decker. They suck!!

I've been running my own cabinet shop for 10 years now. The only routers I use(except for the Bosch trimmer:)) are Porter Cable. The 690 motor is a perfect set up for the homeowner. I have a few that also go into the field and they take abuse well.(Not workers abusing, just being used hard for long periods of time)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definately would get a 1/2" collet. A lot of the bigger and better quality bits are 1/2". I have a dewalt plunge, fix and d-handle router set. Bosch, Dewalt, and Porter Cable seem to have the best followings for routers. If you don't plan on using the router much I would just get a quality plunge router. Can't plunge with a fixed base and comes in handy with a lot of woodworking. Fix bases are nice if you are setting up a router table.

Also check the hp ratings. The Hp will limit what size bit you can turn on hardwoods. If it is more of a one time use project I would buy a Ryobi or Hitachi.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
BTW - Just to add to what was said above: While we have a couple of oddball Makita and other routers, we have more than 20 PC routers in our timber framing shop. Most are big plunge routers, but we have laminate trimmers and other PC routers as well.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I thought about that same thread when this came up.

Local shop here in town does musical instrument type stuff. Woodworking guys trying to work w metal. They've gotten away with it because most metal they use is Al. In a very general sense anything that'll cut wood will probably cut Al. They've done very well for themselves but I had to chuckle at some of their processes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts