Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the 90 is gone and I had been talking to Matt Peterson about building one of his RockRR chassis buggies for me, after some discussion he told me that Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers was thinking about selling the PPR buggy without some of the drivetrain, which was essentially the prototype for Matt's build. As it turns out I am going with that buggy and putting my 9" axles under it along with the ZF and LT230 I have sitting in my garage. The buggy is set up with extended rover radius arms and I will be using my 3 link configuration instead. Wheelbase is ~103, track width is ~77" I think and it weighs in the neighborhood of 3200#. Other specs can be seen on their site:

http://www.pikespeakrovers.com/comp.html

If I am going to make any other changes now is the time, so what would you consider if this were your rig and why?

It is being painted black now and may stay that way too.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Well the 90 is gone and I had been talking to Matt Peterson about building one of his RockRR chassis buggies for me, after some discussion he told me that Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers was thinking about selling the PPR buggy without some of the drivetrain, which was essentially the prototype for Matt's build. As it turns out I am going with that buggy and putting my 9" axles under it along with the ZF and LT230 I have sitting in my garage. The buggy is set up with extended rover radius arms and I will be using my 3 link configuration instead. Wheelbase is ~103, track width is ~77" I think and it weighs in the neighborhood of 3200#. Other specs can be seen on their site:

If I am going to make any other changes now is the time, so what would you consider if this were your rig and why?

I saw him break two driveshafts on pritchett (same trip). So don't use whatever he was using at the time :flipoff2:

Its a fun little buggy, I bet you'll enjoy beating on it. I like the radius arm suspension that was in it when I saw it, personally. Flexed plenty and was way stable.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw him break two driveshafts on pritchett (same trip). So don't use whatever he was using at the time :flipoff2:

Its a fun little buggy, I bet you'll enjoy beating on it. I like the radius arm suspension that was in it when I saw it, personally. Flexed plenty and was way stable.
driveshaft ujoints were upgraded to 1350 in front I believe, maybe 1410 in rear.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts

I'm really happy for you! I think you made a good purchase. That buggy and my rig run almost the same suspension. You will be amazed what that setup can do. I would consider keeping it. It has a couple quirks, but it is exceptional and provides more control than some other systems. At least drive it a year before making a decision.

What I would change, dump the airshocks. I really dislike those things. You probably will too after you drive it for a while.

Other than that, it's pretty sweet! How wide is the body and how tall? Did they narrow the RR hood?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Ensure the chassis is intact...Free of stress cracks and significant ding's on the corners, structural nodes, and especially at the link truss (under the rig). Remember this rig was used as intended! Most likely in excellent shape, but you owe it to yourself to be sure.

Are you going to run a 3.9? Was that what was run in it before the drive-train was pulled? I seem to remember that they were running a 727 and atlas? Anywho, you might want more power...Duh! Stupid statement but worth mentioning. I know I could use a couple of dozen more hp but beggars can't be choosers in my case. I'm at 5.89's in my diffs now and am seriously considering going with 6.17's or even going whole hog with 7.17's. My 3.9 likes to rev and having good snap off the line on ledges is key.

Good luck! And keep us posted...O'yea, enough with the BS "...more details coming..." crap. Just let us know! :flipoff2:

--D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ensure the chassis is intact...Free of stress cracks and significant ding's on the corners, structural nodes, and especially at the link truss (under the rig). Remember this rig was used as intended! Most likely in excellent shape, but you owe it to yourself to be sure.

Are you going to run a 3.9? Was that what was run in it before the drive-train was pulled? I seem to remember that they were running a 727 and atlas? Anywho, you might want more power...Duh! Stupid statement but worth mentioning. I know I could use a couple of dozen more hp but beggars can't be choosers in my case. I'm at 5.89's in my diffs now and am seriously considering going with 6.17's or even going whole hog with 7.17's. My 3.9 likes to rev and having good snap off the line on ledges is key.

Good luck! And keep us posted...O'yea, enough with the BS "...more details coming..." crap. Just let us know! :flipoff2:

--D
Yeah yeah, I didn't want to put the cart before the horse cause the 90 wasn't officially sold ya know.

Good points about the frame/chassis. I know a section of the cage was cut out and replaced; as you stated it has been used. Matt told me the car is in excellent condition and based on how PPR goes through it after every comp I'm comfortable that it is in good shape.

It has a built 4.6 and it did have a 700R/Atlas combo

Do you think the "launchability" is a result of gearing or do you think power gets diffused in the ZF before it even gets to the ground? One of the things I had considered was the stall speed or a mod to the ZF to give more direct transfer of power (don't know if this is possible). I've seen your buggy do what you describe and even got some of that in the 90. In fact one time on Independence I got bound up a bit and could put the pedal to the floor with no forward movement.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really happy for you! I think you made a good purchase. That buggy and my rig run almost the same suspension. You will be amazed what that setup can do. I would consider keeping it. It has a couple quirks, but it is exceptional and provides more control than some other systems. At least drive it a year before making a decision.

What I would change, dump the airshocks. I really dislike those things. You probably will too after you drive it for a while.

Other than that, it's pretty sweet! How wide is the body and how tall? Did they narrow the RR hood?
Dave-

Describe the "quirks" for me.

I'll have to see how it goes with the air shocks, I've not used them before but they seem to do well on this rig.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would put in some heat sheilding. if I remember there is a simple fire wall that get very hot on the trail.

I would crawler gears in t case if you are going use Lt230 and 300 m puck inplace
of spiders gears in tcase.

just some ideas
Ed

PS. I am running carnage canyon on Sat. I will let you known if it has gotten harder as people have said.

Ed

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Dave-

Describe the "quirks" for me.

I'll have to see how it goes with the air shocks, I've not used them before but they seem to do well on this rig.
Okay, one more suggestion, lose the Autozone flame sticker. :flipoff2:

It does look really good in black!

The quirks are basically that the front end will start to bind on the last 1-2in of travel so the front end starts to work like it has a swaybar. It takes a little getting used to in that you can really control the lean by how you drive. Once you get the hang of it, it is tits because you can get through things without going over that tosses other rigs.

I hate airshocks, but maybe they have them dialed in absolutely perfect and you will love them. Problem is, that is absolutely impossible with a 4 seater as two adults in the back will require you to re-tune the shocks back there. Thats one of the reasons I tell everyone not to put them on trail rigs. They are great if you have 2 hours to tune them and run a 30min course. But, we all know us weekend warriors don't like to do that. I even ran one time with the truck leaning 3in to the drivers side just cause I was too tired to mess with it after loading up the toyhauler :laughing:

I wouldn't mess with lower gears in the t-case. Too many stories of failures with those kits. I would go lower in the diff gears. Go as low as you can and still get up to whatever speed you need to (if you want to drive on the street).

One last thing, if you want launchability, go to a manual. But I have a feeling you are not willing to deal with all that extra effort. I've never seen an auto that can launch like a dropped clutch. But, I am limited by my experience.

Great truck you got there! I'm jealous.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Buck you were talking about he fail attempts al changing the gears in the T-case in a Rover? You tried Toddco? I havent just wonder in you or someone you know did? jtisdale, I like the black a lot but the flames could be bigger, but then again they are just going to get ground off anyway.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That thing looks sexy...love the black. I've seen the rig in action and no doubt the set up works. I tend to agree with Dave about swapping out the airshocks. I've never used them myself but I understand that they only really perform well on super light comp rigs. Think about bikes, air shocks are way more of a PIA than coil'd shocks. I just bought a ZF for my 110 project and the tourque converter options are slim depending on the amount of work you want to put into it. The only guys I found that really know ZF's, (in the states) is Erickson Transmission. Maybe consider the 700R4/Atlas combo that was in there. Maybe even 4sp Atlas, then a trans line lock for launching?I'm talking out my ass...but guess I was wrong, you do have a truck. Let me know if you need me to swing down there and 'check' on it.

Brendon

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Air shocks on that rig are sweet. I wouldn't change them at all. Way stable. The vehicle has more than enough power for rock crawling. I don't think the Rover motor can be built enough for launching in rock racing applications, but it is plenty built enough for normal wheeling. You are going to have a sweet time in that rig... :)

After switching from coilovers to airshocks, I was so pleased with the change.

Way

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Air shocks on that rig are sweet. I wouldn't change them at all. Way stable. The vehicle has more than enough power for rock crawling. I don't think the Rover motor can be built enough for launching in rock racing applications, but it is plenty built enough for normal wheeling. You are going to have a sweet time in that rig... :)

After switching from coilovers to airshocks, I was so pleased with the change.

Way

I'm looking forward to it! It terms of launchability I'm referring more to a stituation where you are nose up at the bottom of a steep ledge or fall taller than your rig and when you hit the gas you get instant power to the wheels. My experience with the ZF and gearing that I have is that it the power transfer is absorbed and the result feels like the powertrain is bogging down. It's almost like I had to roll into a situation if there wasnt' enough traction to creepy crawl up. When I was on Helicopter Pad at Tellico a few weeks ago I had to hit the gas hard to get some momentum up the bottom portion of the rock face, left off the gas to roll back down a bit, and then make my attempt again. Almost like rocking it to gain momentum. Hopefully a bit more power, less weight, and lower gearing in the tranny/tcase will help too.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Yup you're right Tiz. The ZF bog you mention is, imo, a combination of low HP and a low stall in the converter.

Mine did it BAD when I had the 3.9/ZF/LT combo in my rockrover. I droped 1000lbs and it is night and day difference. Yea, on the suicide ledge after Tobasco Twister it did it a little but that was the only time it kept me from clearing an obstacle. And that obstacle was something I normally would bypass anyway!

With the 4.6 you should be fine man. If I were you though I'd opt for the 700r4/atlas combo. After the labor $'s and parts to get it back to a ZF/LT configuration/combo it might be more affordable than you think. In the end I think you'll be glad you did, and in the event you blow up the 4.6 you can drop in a LT1 and forever laugh at yourself for being into rover engines in the first place! :evil:

O'yea, and I've always loved the lines on that rig, and the black is a vast improvement too! You're gonna' be STOKED man!

When will it be ready?

--D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup you're right Tiz. The ZF bog you mention is, imo, a combination of low HP and a low stall in the converter.

With the 4.6 you should be fine man. If I were you though I'd opt for the 700r4/atlas combo. After the labor $'s and parts to get it back to a ZF/LT configuration/combo it might be more affordable than you think. In the end I think you'll be glad you did, and in the event you blow up the 4.6 you can drop in a LT1 and forever laugh at yourself for being into rover engines in the first place! :evil:

When will it be ready?

--D
Already opted for the trans/transfer...as you noted it wasn't that much of a difference since shipping stuff across the country is outrageous these days.

I am picking it up a few days before the rally, you are coming right?

I'd imagine I'll shake it down at Independence, then maybe run Carnage BV or some Montrose trails on the way out...you up for some action?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the real question is when are you going to move west so you can challenge that thing on some trails?

-ben
I hear ya, not any time soon. I'll be making the two day dash across the country for the forseeable future.

I'm thinking Hammers instead of Cruces next year with all the talk of closing those trails too.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
So you opt'd for the 700/atlas?

You bet I'm up for some action. That is all contingent on *if* my leg is at a point that I can put some weight on it by then. Unless this leg of mine results in a full non-union, I should be able. Again, pushing on dual manual breaks takes a bit of umph to keep her still.

The rally is late September right?

I agree. Let's bag the CC next year in favor of the Hammers. Yea, it's extra tank of diesel getting there but with the promis of endless hard-core trails I'm stoked!

I'll keep you posted on the progress of the leg. Earlier this week (week 5) there was no sign of healing (yet). Typical at week 5, but....

--D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts