Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you all know, and this may be late news.

John has retired, and the business has been purchased by Steve.

I found this out after my 5" rear springs failed. Yep you heard me, failed.

Springs started sagging, maybe two weeks. Then bang while in a parking lot going over a curb!

Now Steve no longer makes a 5" spring, and wants me to go with 3" plus spacers. I really dug having the big springs with the full range of motion versus the lift block.

The bummer is that John made me a deal on the springs, and now I can only get that amount back towards the 3" springs. Fair?

my cost would be $80 for replacement of broken springs. Thoughts?

j

ps

I am not bashing! I just want some feedback, as my gut doesn't feel right about this.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
That sucks.

I'd say that you basically have to eat this one. Since they no longer make what you want, and you don't want to compromise, you may have to have some custom springs made.

I know that KC had some springs made for Billster's D110 project that turned out sweet, so you might want to talk to them about having a set made up for you.

Sorry to hear the bad news.:(

·
Registered
596 Posts
$80 for a pair of springs isn't too shabby, but I completely understand being bummed about the situation....

I got this email from Steve just over a month ago...

Hello RJ,We currently do not offer 5" springs we are looking to bring them back in the spring, However if we have enough demand we can get them sooner, They will be set up or designed to go full solid without damage as are the rest of our springs almost prompting the statement of being indestructible.

Thanks Steve
Looks like they decided against doing it....maybe Bearmach?

RJ

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would feel different if the springs were old. They are under 9 months!

j

·
Registered
986 Posts
They shuld last longer than that. Especially with the careful driving I've seen you doing. Not being able to ask for something they don't make anymore is one thing, but why should you pay anything for getting an inferior replacement to a product that was obviously not manufactured to spec?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I think that at 9 months, they really should send you the 3in springs at no charge. It is up to him though. If you are not willing to compromise on the spacer, Valley Spring will make you a custom set to your exact spects for $250. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
http://www.northwestparts.com/NWP_SPRINGS.htm
Anyone have these? Any experiences or heard anything. This is the first I have heard of these and I feel that I am some what up to date on what is offered for Rovers.

Way

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Way,

These guys are from Portland, Oregon.

I lived there for 8 years, knew pretty much everyone in the LR scene in Portland, and these guys pop up just a year after I leave.

I don't know where they're having them made, we looked into having custom springs made, and there were 2 places there that said they could.

Don't know the guys that are running the place, and was kind of surprized honestly when I learned they were from Portland.

Not that everyone there had to know me and vice-versa, but I thought I had a pretty good idea of who was doing custom stuff to Rovers in Portland.

Order a set and see how they do!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put a set of their HD 3" springs on in Feb. 2003. They seem really soft. (softer than I would like) I can load in a weekend's worth of camping gear for two, a toolbox, and ice chest and they seem to really sag. I've noticed lately (empty) that it seems to have the "Toyota 4Runner going down the road syndrome."

·
Registered
158 Posts
Green Monster Springs?

They are red.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Even though I like "Custom" stuff, I'd tend to stick the word "Cutsom" to a "static" object (bumper...etc).

When it comes to dynamic parts, I tend to appreciate the long-lasting, durable, experience of tried and tested companies. That is why I run OME springs (they sag, they bla, they bla...), and have been able to get 3" of lift from them.

I'd REALLY recommedn one goes that way, SHOULD something occur, they are off-the-shlef items, relatively cheap, and have a shitload of R&D behind them.

Too bad about the 5" springs though...must have been sweet!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
so where are the pics? I am pretty bummed that John isn't running Rovertym anymore he was really the best about customer service. I had a set of springs that just started bowing badly (some of the first 3+ sets) he immediately sent out another set free of charge (didn't even pay shipping) and he paid for my springs to go back to him so that he could determine what the problem was. I think that Bill's springs came from rovertym so that's not an option right now. I have always been really impressed with Rovertym's work and research. I guess that might go to the way side with John retiring. I hope that it doesn't because they are a great supporter of the Land Rover off road scene. I am not happy to hear that you had a failure because I was about to order some new springs from him. Guess I'll wait awhile and see what happened. If you can't get pics can you describe how they failed?

-ben

·
Registered
77 Posts
m016324 said:
I had a set of springs that just started bowing badly (some of the first 3+ sets) he immediately sent out another set
-ben
how bad was the 'bowing' you described? i've got the 3" rt's too and i think that they are one of the first sets (not powder coated if that means anything) anyways. i've had them on for a little under a year and my trucks really starting to lean... i actually took the rear spring out and set them on the floor next to each other and one was definately shorter by atleast 1.5-2" 's and bowed a lot. i was thinkin about calling them but never did b/c i figured they've heard alll sorts of leaning complaints and didn't want to be one of 'those guys'.
any opinions? to call or not to call?
someone needs to test those green monsters and post up. im curious, but BROKE AS ALL HELL.

·
Registered
596 Posts
deathorglory said:

how bad was the 'bowing' you described? i've got the 3" rt's too and i think that they are one of the first sets (not powder coated if that means anything) anyways. i've had them on for a little under a year and my trucks really starting to lean... i actually took the rear spring out and set them on the floor next to each other and one was definately shorter by atleast 1.5-2" 's and bowed a lot. i was thinkin about calling them but never did b/c i figured they've heard alll sorts of leaning complaints and didn't want to be one of 'those guys'.
any opinions? to call or not to call?
someone needs to test those green monsters and post up. im curious, but BROKE AS ALL HELL.
Brandon, are the springs bowed when out of the truck?

If so that is certainly bad!

What about the Bearmach Blues? JPW is running them in the 110 and they're likely the rout we'll take with Lil Crispy....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think I will chime in here.

The SG springs with progressive rate and dead coils are the best thing going now. I have a set that were previous to the dead coil style. I am very happy with them and would highly reccomend.

You can order them seperate from a suspension "package." About a $100 apiece but well worth the money.

Available in 200# 250# 300# 350#

Consider the weight of your viechle to determine your spring. They only claim up to 3" lift but I am seeing larger gains from the ones I have installed. Springs are not a maintanence item and should not have to be replaced so often.

I am going to have to say that I do not think the Rovertym springs I have seen are worth considering.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
m016324 said:
so where are the pics? I am pretty bummed that John isn't running Rovertym anymore he was really the best about customer service. I had a set of springs that just started bowing badly (some of the first 3+ sets) he immediately sent out another set free of charge (didn't even pay shipping) and he paid for my springs to go back to him so that he could determine what the problem was. I think that Bill's springs came from rovertym so that's not an option right now. I have always been really impressed with Rovertym's work and research. I guess that might go to the way side with John retiring. I hope that it doesn't because they are a great supporter of the Land Rover off road scene. I am not happy to hear that you had a failure because I was about to order some new springs from him. Guess I'll wait awhile and see what happened. If you can't get pics can you describe how they failed?

-ben
Ben, I talked with Steve at RT a lot over the late summer and fall, when doing another round of mods to my suspension. I had nothing but professionalism and instant (!) customer service from him.

FWIW

keith
:usa:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well there are a few things to check here before determining if spings are a wear item or not.

With normal use and proper bumpstops, coils and or leaf packs can last quite some time. But without the proper bumpstops you will often find the spring over compressed and wearing much more quickly.
Also if you run with no anti Sway bars off road you'll fatigue a spring much quicker, than with.

Now, that said, 2 weeks, no matter what conditions, is unreasonable.

I would give Steve a call (don't email, give him a ring) and see about getting the $$ you spent back. Then you can start with a clean sheet of options. SG, Bearmach or whomever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the springs were still bowed when OUT of the truck, with no weight on them. (the coils are permanently deformed)

as far as bump stops go. how do you know when you've over compressed a spring. i know that you can over stretch one (not in automotive sense, take a deformed slinky for example) but i never figured that compressing one would lead to permanant deformation.
i understand, and it makes sense that they deform because the springs are compressed in an arc rather than along thier axis, but how far should one have to pack out there bumpstops for a given lift?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts