1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Drain the engine oil?

2. Drain the transmission fluid?

I'm thinking yes on both accounts.

Also, why does the transmission have TWO coolers, one in the radiator and one in front of the radiator?

Is there a way the 'savvy tech' would use to do the removal easily and cleanly???

:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
It wont leak too much if you stuff a clean rag into the pipes once you unbolt them. dont do this in front of your own house.

<grin>

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't do this in front of my own house he says.

Argh.

Too late, I've already drained the coolant out and I don't want to move the truck again.

It won't be THAT bad will it?

So, what you're saying is I don't really need to drain the fluids? Maybe I'll just put down a tarp and use some kitty litter just in case.

I really don't want to drain them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't usually drain the oil and trans fluid before I pull a RRC radiator, I have a couple of pieces of hose I use to stop leaks. I slip one end of a hose over each the oil lines to join them together and do the same for the trans lines while the radiator is out. I usually change oil and filter after I do the radiator thing and run it to check for leaks.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good idea. What size hose are you using?

I have a bunch of random hose sizes, are you making any kind of a nug fit with the fitting, or do you slide the fitting back and go right off of the metal tubing?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just did my '89 RRC. I slid the fitting back enough to get the hose over the end of the tubing. If I remember right it was half inch but you can take the top hose off without losing too much to see what works. I use old cardboard under the truck to help catch what I spill.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that when I pulled off the fittings and tubing tht hardly any fluid came out of the tubing, and a little came out of the rad. Mostly from the transmission side.

Glad I used the cardboard, but also glad I had my oil-pan ready.

It's off to the rad. shop!

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts