Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I am really behind on keeping our thread updated. Here is our RROCK #1 update from way back in april...

Scott and I were simply on this weekend and the car was working great! Outside
of one course we were running near perfect with only one back. The courses
were no slouch either; Tom picked up right where All Stock Nationals left off
with long technical courses. Our second course would end for us with a broken main cap on the
front axle. The RBR crew pulled together and got the car repaired with out missing
a course! The scores were still very tight headed into the afternoon and it
looked doubtful that we would have a chance at a podium with the 45 point penalty
due to the mechanical failure on Course C1. However we stayed on our
game and when the dust settled (literally) we found ourselves in 3rd place! What
an awesome finish for our team! We were all ecstatic! Can’t wait for WE-Rock
May 29th thru 31st back at Hannibal Rocks!

ahh hate the internet filters here at work. I'll get the link for the photos updated tonight. Jake

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I am really behind on keeping our thread updated. Here is our RROCK #1 update from way back in april...

Scott and I were simply on this weekend and the car was working great! Outside
of one course we were running near perfect with only one back. The courses
were no slouch either; Tom picked up right where All Stock Nationals left off
with long technical courses. Our second course would end for us with a broken main cap on the
front axle. The RBR crew pulled together and got the car repaired with out missing
a course! The scores were still very tight headed into the afternoon and it
looked doubtful that we would have a chance at a podium with the 45 point penalty
due to the mechanical failure on Course C1. However we stayed on our
game and when the dust settled (literally) we found ourselves in 3rd place! What
an awesome finish for our team! We were all ecstatic! Can’t wait for WE-Rock
May 29th thru 31st back at Hannibal Rocks!

ahh hate the internet filters here at work. I'll get the link for the photos updated tonight. Jake
Saw your clip on Xtreme Sunday.

You look better on TV :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
my all time favorite stock mod. keep up the good work.

-Tristan

·
Registered
443 Posts
Saw your clip on Xtreme Sunday.

You look better on TV :flipoff2:
Ditto! We were at The Rock Shop dropping the the motor/tranny back into the the Bad Taco, and we had to take a break to watch our friend "Jake HollyGood" on Xtreme.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Well work on the car for 2010 has started. The life of trying to keep a clean stock mod rig. :shaking:

Plans for 2010 are pretty simple and mostly cosmetic. We are going to drop the t-case and doubler to make sure they are still looking good. New front and rear bumpers, replace a tube in the cage and see if we can't work the rear suspension to make the car climb better.

Here is the start of the new quarter panel being skinned.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
SO the body work is pretty well done on the quarter panels. So I am turning my attention to the rear suspension. I had never check to see what the calculator said about our suspension since we built it. So I remeasured and tossed in a few variables for axle weight and such. I am pretty happy with the numbers. The suspension works great in the rocks. No Jacking or weird charistics. It just doesn't climb as good as I think it should. This rig will see Hannibal 6 times in 2010 Dayton twice and the man mad course of Rausch creek once. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
When you say it doesn't climb well what does it do? Does it seem to bounce when you need to hit climbs with some throttle? Just by looking at the numbers I would think your A/S is too high. It would also help if you could stretch the lower links out, but that isn't as important as the A/S. If I was going to guess I would say it climbs the stuff in PA better than the obstacles in Dayton or Hannibal?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Those numbers look similar to what I had on the first version of the tracker I built, I lowered the AS to about 65%, the IC was in front of the front bumper and it was a night and day difference. Before I couldnt stay in the throttle on a climb with the tires spinning or all sorts of bad things would happen, after, I could stay in and it would stay planted and straight and the front end wouldnt wash to the side anymore.

Heres some links to see my before and after, if it'll give you some ideas.

http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2325&start=0

http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6951&start=0

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yeah let me see if adam can help me out with some climbing videos. It really doesn't act bad at all when it climbs. The car is very stable, I really expected the AS to be much lower than what the calculator says. Correct me if I am wrong but I really expect the car to hop with a high AS value and low traction.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'll see if I can find some of the photos I have from ASN, but it seems on long sweeping momentum type of climbs the rig seems to want to body roll to the pass side and kind of jackknife the driver front up in the air.

·
Vendor
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I didnt know you guys were doing KOH.Cool.
If you are talking about Rubber Belly Racing we are not running in KOH this year, If we get the car done I am thinking about taking it out to KOH just to watch and wheel. We ran in the LCQ last year, PUjeeper is running in the LCQ this year.

·
Vendor
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Yeah let me see if adam can help me out with some climbing videos. It really doesn't act bad at all when it climbs. The car is very stable, I really expected the AS to be much lower than what the calculator says. Correct me if I am wrong but I really expect the car to hop with a high AS value and low traction.
Is the COG messurement just a guess (top of the trans)?

I don't ever seem to have a good view of what the back of the car does on big climbs as I am in front most of the time. From what I see the front gets up the climb pretty good but when the rear hits the front gets light and as Jon said the car seems to pitch to the passenger side.

We had talked about building a "J" arm for the rear lowers to go up and over the axle so we could get more lenght out of it. Which at the same time we could raise the axle side mount to lower the AS and move the IC foward.

We could remove the added in non stock crossmember that the arms attach to now and run the lowers farther foward to a stock location crossmember and build mounts off of the frame for the uppers. Both ideas would give us a longer lower arm and the ability to change AS and IC.

Scott

·
Vendor
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Do you run any weight in your front tires?
No we don't. 9"/D44 hybrid front so we don't run weight in fear of breaking more parts.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
No we don't. 9"/D44 hybrid front so we don't run weight in fear of breaking more parts.
I know its been done successfully with a 44 front end. What's the wheelbase again? Front to rear weight bias? I would guess that between the wheelbase and light front end you can't expect it to keep up with some of the other guys in the class. When I had a 92" wheelbase I could hardly climb anything, but I didn't want to run water in my tires for the same reason you don't. I finally gave in, and it was an incredible difference. I was running a 60 with stock shafts, but 37's. Never broke it.

·
Vendor
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
I know its been done successfully with a 44 front end. What's the wheelbase again? Front to rear weight bias? I would guess that between the wheelbase and light front end you can't expect it to keep up with some of the other guys in the class. When I had a 92" wheelbase I could hardly climb anything, but I didn't want to run water in my tires for the same reason you don't. I finally gave in, and it was an incredible difference. I was running a 60 with stock shafts, but 37's. Never broke it.
Thanks for the help Jesse. Wheelbase is 89", weight bias I can't say for sure but when it was on the crane of shame at Hannibal with the hook at the front of the cage it was just about level. So pretty close to 50/50 but that is a guess. I guess we could try some weight, so how much?

We need to do something, it just won't make the big climbs, we really have not had too much trouble other than at the All Stock Nationals in the shoot out. I believe Kurt Shramovich has shortened his wheelbase on the TJ I think to the low 90" range and he climbs really good. At one time I thought he was running water in the front but I would also think a TJ would have more front weight bias.

81 - 100 of 230 Posts