Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Our first order of business is still reworking the rear suspension. After looking at the current suspension design in the new link calculator it was apparent that the lower links were way too short. What would happen as the axle dropped out, is the Anti Squat value would go through the roof. So we cut out the old mounts to move the lowers farther forward. However keeping the uppers mounted in the same location would be our first hurdle. We turned to Josh Thiede (Harley0706) of RC Crawler Fame to help with some 3d modeling to build our brackets. We built the brackets on a mock up frame rail and then transferred them to the car when they were done. Here are the brackets tacked in place and the frame plated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
One of our other failures this season was our over built links. When we welded the tube adapters into the 3/8” wall tube the Adapters were glowing red all the way thru. That however didn’t mean that we penetrated the 3/8” link well enough so the weld eventually started to crack and pull the rod end out of the tube after 3 seasons. Stay tuned to see how we address this in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Our other priority for right now is to get the rear bumper revised while the cage is out and we can move the body to help with getting it all welded. Once again we turned to Josh to help turn the ideas in our minds into something that would actually work and look good. Still coming along on this one. We are going to get a quote on having the plate laser cut to save quite a bit of time drilling holes. We’ll post up more as soon as we have it.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
The rear axle is back under the car minus the lower links that we are waiting on. Still waiting on some new front axle parts. The fab work is done, it is now onto assembly and paint.
Here is the finished rear bumper.

Rebuilt stinger.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well the first of our new Bling 44 parts showed up the other day. Orange Ford knuckles from Reid Racing. Unfornately they toured the western US in a UPS truck for a while before we could get them tracked down. Thanks to Michelle and Gywn at Reid for helping get them tracked down and sent our way. :smokin: Also thanks to Jeff for his great service.

These things are nice! Seemed to be very well engineered. We opted for new high steer bolts and studs. One of the spindle studs is an actual screw in stud due to the thickness of the knucle over stock. Can't wait to get them installed. But first we have the task of taking our new ford knuckles and building chevy disc brake brackets so we can stay with chevy calipers.

WHY???? One reason is the ball joint can be a weaklink with the 44 stuff so we will still carry a spare set of chevy knuckles with highsteer arms incase we need to replace something in a hurry. No need to change calipers. The other reason is the slide bolt mounting on the ford stuff just isn't as nice as the two stud method on the chevy stuff. Not performance wise... Just preference wise. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Josh and Scott got the Reid knuckles installed the other night. No issues with fitment as everything went together like stock. The custom machining on our arms prevented us from running the 4th stud but so far we haven't had any issues with just 3 studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The focus of this week has been getting the car ready for paint. Nothing really exciting to take pictures of. The new B-Pillars are made, the lexan doors are fitted. Adam got the new fenders ready to clear 35" Cooper Discoverer STT's. The new hood is prepped and ready for primer. Hopefully we can get all the paint done on sunday after the Frostbite Run at Kansas Rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Yep car will be back red again this year. I had started to track down a Jeep guy in town that does vinyl wraps but we already have all the stickers we need from sponsors so well save the cash for now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
looks good guys cant wait to see ya out there woopin it up in we rock

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
It should be in color by the end of the weekend. I am setting up the "paint booth" today, installing our new cromo rear lower links, and the skid plate. Tomorrow the color will go on and we are hoping by the end of next weekend it will be done. We are still waiting on the new from shafts and tires. The shafts will be here Tuesday (Thanks Shawn) and I hope the tires will be here soon.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Our new shafts and Joints showed up from RCV! These things are beautiful. The machining and finish on these are awesome. The Stubs shafts and CV’s are 300m and the inners are 4340 Chro-Moly. The Stub is gun drilled for keeping the joint greased when needed. They are pre-greased with enough grease for the first season though. It took a lot of phone calls and a decent amount of anxiety on our part with concerns about getting them. However it really wasn’t that long of a wait. Still waiting on our RCV Drive Flanges to show up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Other provisions we have made is to grind down the top of the lower ball joint. That has been done already. The other thing we will have to do is bore out the ford spindles. I think we are going to go to 1.320" which should give us about .020" on each side of the stub shaft. I have also heard the the warn spindles for rear d44 applications were a 1.350" bore but I'd like to keep as much meat as we can on the spindles. I'll keep you posted on how the installation progresses from here.
Jake

·
Registered
732 Posts
You guys kick ass!

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Thanks JJ3 and Kurt,
Jake and I have got to a point where it is almost funny how much $ we have put into a 44. Spider 9 housing, nodular case, Reid knuckles, RCVs, etc. The spindles are being bored to 1.330" and should be done tomorrow.

We are still looking for a new grill, and waiting for our replacment new lower links, and spindles. Other than that the car should be done by the end of this weekend.

121 - 140 of 230 Posts