Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
wow, you guys have an impressive dedication to the bodywork. Awesome!
Thanks! Once again a great example of our mental unstability!

Also in a hope that someday a sponsor might see that as well. We try to portray the sport in the direction we would like to see it headed. Having a nice car and a professional team are part of what we are about.

Jake

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I took the rig out today for a run around the neighbor hood.
Just a couple of things left to do. We still need to put the new grill in ( I got it picked up today), waiting on a few more stickers to get here, and do some machine work on the drive slugs so they fit.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
From our Newsletter:
RROCK Event #1
After months of preparation it was finally time to see if the work in garage over the off season proved worthwhile. We awoke early race day to walk the courses over one more time and finalize our plan for the day. We were also very curious if the car was going climb better with the new suspension. So we took the car out to the rocks for a little test drive and to work out the butterflies that build in our stomachs. We were able to climb up some very steep ledges and had built our confidence in the car to a new level. Our first course proved to be very tough. The cones were tight and we spent too much time trying to avoid one of the cones. We ended up having to take a cone in order to get out in time. Still, we posted a very good run for the course. Our second course had a small ledge climb that we had fought in the past but this season proved no problem at all. After only two courses we were sitting firmly in the lead. The third course proved tricky and we took two cones at once attempting a bonus line. Still holding the lead, but Giles Verheecke gained some ground on us. The last course was going to be one of our biggest challenges all year. We knew we were going to have to winch but went ahead to try and crawl the huge ledges that make up the climb named “Anarchy.” On our last attempt to drive the ledge we hit hard on the frame and the tracker’s engine stopped running. After several attempts to get it running we felt the first place victory slip away. At the end of the day Giles would bump us to second place by 14 points. We were able to get the car running intermittently but would take us nearly 3 weeks to finally fully understand the failure. Top-of-the-line electrical components failed which caused the fuel pump not to run. With the car now fixed we turned our attention to prepping for the W.E. Rock season opener in Rausch Creek, PA.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
W.E.ROCK Event #1 Rausch Creek

The awkward feeling of being out of our element was unsettling. We knew we had to learn quickly how to maneuver our Geo Tracker through the man-made concrete courses. Side hills were more extreme than we’ve ever tried and the vertical climbs were taller than our Tracker’s wheelbase. We started the day by taking a near vertical bonus climb and crawling our way to the top. The Cooper tires provided us awesome traction on the concrete courses. Our next course was a very scary series of side hill gates that put us in an off camber situation to drop down a ledge to the last set of gates. Once committed to the final drop I tried to drive out but the front bumper was on the ground. The Tracker didn’t stop until it landed upside down, right next to the finish gates. This gave Kurt Shramovich a comfortable lead on us but we still held onto second place. Sunday started with heavy fog and rain showers. The traction from Saturday was still there in places but much worse in others. On course #1 we slid sideways down a steep hill landing the car on it’s side, however we were able to drive the car back onto it’s wheels and finish the course with a great score. Our next course made the difference in the weekend as we picked up 31 points on Kurt. Going into the Bonusland shootout we had edged Kurt out of the number one spot by six points. Kurt put up a score of -60, we had to match that in order to maintain our lead. We stuck to our game plan and systematically worked through the bonus gates. We had picked up our needed -60 in just half of our allotted time and finished with -80. *Finishing the day with a 26 point lead over second and a 113 point lead on third. To come away with the victory in Rausch Creek is a huge boost to our team. Taking the win over the two time National Champion and local favorite, Kurt Shramrovich, puts us in the Series points lead going into the Next event in Dayton, TN.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Nice write up Jake, thanks for taking the time to do those. Thank you also to Josh and Jeremy Hislop for being part of the long distance crew this year.

Scott

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I got to check the rig out at rausch creek, it looked good, and seemed to work even better:smokin:
I wish I would have known who you were! I have been watching the build of your buggy. That is a really cool place you guys have to compete up there! That and Kyle is a great course designer!
Jake

·
Registered
833 Posts
I wish I would have known who you were! I have been watching the build of your buggy. That is a really cool place you guys have to compete up there! That and Kyle is a great course designer!
Jake
We were only there sunday, and went out wheelin after the rain stopped.
I watched the shootout, and meant to catch up with you afterwards, but ended up heading home.

Rausch is definitely an awesome event site for competitions and races, and yeah kyle always has something good up his sleeve :smokin:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Sweet write up Jake. I have decided that Frieda is getting gutted and Tim is going to build me a new one with a 427 stroker. Lee has already found me the motor and I have agreed to get it. Driving Barbie around was not a good thing. So next time we wheel together my junk will no longer look like junk :).

Walter

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Wow! I have been around a couple of comp rigs with 347 strokers in them. They sure do sound good but I'm going to stick with mild... Couldn't imagine another 100 cubes! Make sure to tell tim you don't want the wake board tower on yours... Have you made it back to Clayton yet?
Jake

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I wasn't looking at going that big of a motor but got a sweet deal on one that the LEBC boys found. Lee encouraged me just a little as well. What do you mean about the wakeboard? I was suppose to go to Clayton this weekend with the boys but it's about only a 10% chance as of now. Suppose to coach a basketball tourney for my high school son. It might not make so I have my fingers crossed. Then she will need just a little tweaking to be ready.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
HaHa! I was referring to the Towry machine. Clayton is way to hot for me this time of year. Better wheel at night... :) You got your head lamp?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
One of our other failures this season was our over built links. When we welded the tube adapters into the 3/8” wall tube the Adapters were glowing red all the way thru. That however didn’t mean that we penetrated the 3/8” link well enough so the weld eventually started to crack and pull the rod end out of the tube after 3 seasons. Stay tuned to see how we address this in a few weeks.

did you ever get new links? I hate to see such terrible abortion links on such a nice clean rig.

141 - 160 of 230 Posts