Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Just got home and out of the shower. After living in the shop for the last 3 days I really needed to take care of some personal hygene matters!!!!!

Dave, I can't put into words how awesome Greg and Alan are. They were there right along with us gettin' it done. A big thank to Jason, Brad, Scott, Jeremy and Adam as well. Also thanks alot to dave as he ran us up a die for the bender from KC to Topeka about an 1.5 hour trip one way.

I'm gonna leave ya hanging for tonight as I am dog ass tired and I can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight. But I will tell you that the tracker is now back home. See you tomorrow!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
well i do exhaust and give them shit at the same time :flipoff2:
i will do the exhaust on it but they have never asked me to !!! :shaking:
i aint there DADDY so they need ta speeeeek :D
cool build guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
so when can we see this thing out on the trail, talked to scott this evening and forgot to ask him about it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
toywelder said:
well i do exhaust and give them shit at the same time :flipoff2:
i will do the exhaust on it but they have never asked me to !!! :shaking:
i aint there DADDY so they need ta speeeeek :D
cool build guys

Don't worry duane you are the best exhaust guy I know! Even though I pass possibly upwards of 200 other so called exhaust places to get to your place. You'll be getting a call on the exhaust. I am still sleepy and just now starting to come back to life. So I'll get to posting some more later this week.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
here is the article I just put together for our club newsletter.

I am just starting to come back to life after our 3 day thrash to put together our comp rig. It was an awesome time and it was a blast to spend it with so many good natured, talented people. We had over 47 hours of shop time from 11 am Friday until 8 pm Saturday. That times 7 highly dedicated people and those who stopped by to lend a hand as they could, put us at over 350 man hours over the course of 3 days. Friday had the appearance of our most productive day. Disassembly is always fun. Even though it took several people most of the day to just remove the dash. I guess a pre-airbag car would have been much smarter! The Red Bull girls showed up that night and got us going with a couple cases of Red Bull. Needless to say I don’t think any of us slept much due to the juice and helicopters hovering shop. Still everyone was up Saturday morning and ready for another day of abuse. Even on only a couple hours of sleep Saturday was a 20 hour day which led us to bed around 4 AM Sunday. Greg Pert showed up with the Air Soft gun in sniper position to keep us loligagers busy… So we got a lot more accomplished. Saturday night was the best sleep ever, that helicopter from Friday night could have landed in the parking lot and I don’t think anyone would have noticed. It even took a locomotive horn to wake Adam Ross up from his sleeping place in one of the old seats in the shop….. As everyone became more familiar with personalities the jokes got better too…. Greg thought he’d demonstrate how loud the air horns are by blowing out his own ear drums… Those are pretty loud huh Greg? The joke will really be on you guys when the air scoop stays on there too! Greg had even found an arc welder on Sunday that we could use to weld the spring plate to the differential housing and as we frantically tried to clean the shop so some actual work could be done in there Monday morning, Alan finished welding up the last suspension piece. It was such a blast and so physically draining on everyone. If I had it to do all over again… You know I’d be there in a heart beat! You guys are the best!

Thanks to Greg and Alan from Expert Offroad! Rob from Muchado. Brad, Jason, Scott, Adam, Jeremy. These guys put in some serious time to make this happen. Also thanks to our product sponsor’s Expert Offroad, Muchado Productions, KS Rocks, Trailtough, Superwinch, Rancho, BFG, Inland Truck Parts, Red Bull. Also thanks to the guys that stopped in to lend a hand or thought and especially to the significant others who put up with us being gone for 3 days.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Man guys, I really wish I could have been there. Sorry that work at my new job kept me away. I miss that place more than any of you could even know. The build looked like it was alot of fun I can't wait to see that thing in action. Gotta love that Horn eh! Oh and Greg, your gonna get it with that damn airsoft maybe not today or even tommarow but it's a comin! Hope to see ya'll soon.

Ben

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
No new pictures yet. It is hard to get pictures after work cause it's dark by the time I get home. I had it out friday checking out the suspension but I didn't take any pictures for some reason. This one has caused my to want to get rid of my DD tracker. Lets just say it's not very cool anymore...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It's actually getting cooler again. I found a tree at the park over the weekend. :) The snow was real nice! You missed a good toy run!
Jake

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Deek01 said:
so whats the word on the pics?
I've been terribly busy and lazy. :( :shaking:
I have been trying to find time to get in the garage but it just isn't happening. I might have one free night this week. :(

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Okay so the finishing touches are going slowly with all the holiday stuff going on.

Here is where the cage stands right now.

Door bars

Frontside Seat Tie-in

Rear

Pretty cool to see some of the things we came up with on the fly. I'm sure it would have been different if we weren't wore out! I like it though.
The big question is obviously there is no diagonal bracing (X) right now.
1: I am not sure if I need it. Especially with the factory piece still there.
2: They way that it will curve around the drivers head and then angle to the front b pillar tie in I 'm not sure how much stronger it will be.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
here are some pictures of the coil spring captures.
front

bottom

top is just a 1" wide tab welded to the center and the outside. It fits tight though and shouldn't turn out with the bottom tight.

rear same treatment

The coils are 14" QA1 175lb coilover springs. $36 from Summit. Not high end but should get the job done for a while. The frame spring buckets are factory in the rear and factory parts on the front. The fronts were moved forward and up a couple inches to accomodate the extra Wheel base.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Couple of pictures of the battery mount and location.

Even though things were done in a short amount of time short cuts in the work was not something that were taken. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
here are some pictures of the coil spring captures.
front
You are going to want to plate over the factory "crumple" zone just ahead of your factory strut tower. It will fatigue and start cracking with any heavy use/winching. We've just fixed this permanently on a kick that was done the same way (factory coil mounts). It had been repaired so many times over the last 7 years we basically cut it off just after the tower on the outside and just behind on the inside (made a diagonal in two planes for strength) and re tubed it. IF you plate it over from the beginning it might hold up better. This one wasn't until the cracks started showing up. Just a little heads up since you are putting so much work into this.

61 - 80 of 171 Posts